1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop keeps shutting down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by karebear, Oct 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karebear

karebear Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kari
    I have an old laptop...HP vista. It keeps shutting down after I boot it up. Sometimes it stays on a minute or two other times shuts down right away. Is this a cord issue?
    Thanks!

2. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hello karebear,

Couple of questions if I may;

When you try to power up the notebook do you hear the internal cooling fan spin up at all.

Does the same thing happen if you try powering up with just the main battery, with the AC adaptor connected and with the AC adaptor connected but the main battery removed.

3. karebear

karebear Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kari
    It doesnt boot up at all with the battery anymore, only the cord. Yes you can hear a fan when its booting up.

4. phillpower2

phillpower2

Noticed your previous thread here may I ask if it is the same computer concerned in both threads.

5. karebear

karebear Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kari
    No it is not. I took that laptop in to a computer store. That one is my sons.
    This one I am asking about is mine. Worked fine (besides being slow) last week.

6. karebear

karebear Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kari
    So no answers to why it's doing that? Is it even worth fixing? Is it the motherboard? Or something simple like the cord?

7. phillpower2

phillpower2

Apologies for the delay getting back to you karebear, I`m in the UK and you look to be in the US so it can be in the early hrs of the morning here when you post.

Couple of possible causes come to mind, the inside of the notebook is clogged with dust and the notebook shutting down because it is overheating, the AC adaptor is bad, the DC jackport is bad, the two latter ones are easier to check than the first so would suggest checking them first.

Is the DC jackport where you plug in the charger in good condition, not loose or worn, the same for any polarity pin in the centre of the port.

When you hook up the AC adaptor to the notebook, does the body of the AC adaptor get warm, if there is a charging LED on the AC adaptor does it light up when you try and power up the notebook.

Long shot but do you know anyone that has a universal AC adaptor that you could try, alternative, any local tech store that you can ask if they will try one of their AC adaptors on the notebook.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice