1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop keyboard "A" key acting strangely

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NickMcD, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NickMcD

NickMcD Thread Starter

My laptop's a key is not working. When I press it the key often takes several hits to actually work and then when it does it causes other characters to be displayed. I have tried to find if it is a virus with avast and have restarted my computer.
    This is what happens when I press the key

aalak\aakak\fjaaakak\fak\ak

that was pressing only the a key. Whatever help people have will be appreciated. If you need more info just tell me what you need to know.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi NickMcD and welcome to TSG.

If possible try an external USB keyboard to see if that has a similar problem or not.

Did anything out of the ordinary happen that could have caused this ? Such as the Laptop got knocked or dropped or a liquid was spilt on the keyboard etc.

EDIT : what make and model laptop is it ?

3. NickMcD

NickMcD Thread Starter

Using a usb keyboard the A key is fine. The laptop has not been damaged recently. It is an MSI GT780R

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If the warranty has run out you could try re-seating the keyboard cable, this video shows how to fit a new keyboard including how to disconnect and reconnect the cable. If that doesn't help you may need a new keyboard.

EDIT : forgot the video link, here it is :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY58vyBVXyg it's for the GT70 but it does say the GT780 is similar.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice