1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop keyboard broken

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mr wolf, Apr 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mr wolf

mr wolf Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a laptop which was not starting.

It was not allowing me to move the cursor to start into safe mode.

So I connected an external keyboard which allowed me to attempt to enter safe mode or last good config.

But it still wouldnt start.

I went into setup and noticed that a menu was flashing on and off, and deduced that the keyboard was reacting as if a key was held down.

So I hit it. ;)

And it now starts fine. :D

But obviously the keyboard could stop working at any time.

The laptop is the kind that has the mouse as a little nub below the G,H keys So I assume that if the keyboard was disconnected the mouse would stop working too.

As a fix I am wanting to open the laptop and disconnect the keyboard-mouse, and use and external mouse/keyboard.

But I am worried that this might be more difficult than it sounds as I have never done it before. I am worried that the connection might be disable the screen or something too.

Can anyone advise me on whether I should attempt this, or how I should go about it?

I have a little experience with electronics but noting extensive.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satelite. I can post the model and seriel numbers if needed.

Thanks.

2. winbob

winbob

Mr Wolf,

You're not really FUZZYWUZZY using another name are you? :D

Disassembling ANYTHING from a laptop to a jet engine is only difficult based on your skillset, and knowledge.

Personally I find taking stuff apart fun, interesting and a good challenge. I have taken my older HP laptop apart numerous times to repair stuff caused by physical damage. :(

Didn't have a manual...followed my nose. I thought about video'ing the process, just in case my memory was lacking in re-assembly...but never did.

So you have to be a judge of your prowess.

Searching the Internet, you may find a Service Manual, or try contacting Toshiba.

3. mr wolf

mr wolf Thread Starter

FUZZYWUZZY?

I got it.

I found a site telling me how to replace the keyboard.

So I opened it up and there was a very obviously lose cable on the same side with a big crack in the casing.

Obviously it had been dropped.

Working fine now. :)

Wonder if there is a technical term for fixing things by hitting them.

I call it kinetic readjustment. ;)

4. winbob

winbob

I figured with over a 150 Posts, you'd have seen Fuzzy and his Toshiba by now!

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Its a 'Oh that's screwed it' driver

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/351219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice