1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop keyboard issue - xp pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iwswnb, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iwswnb

iwswnb Thread Starter

Hey people :)

An xp-pro laptop I've got was unused for ages whilst I kept forgetting to fit a new screen unit to it after the old one died. Anyways, long story short I fitted the new lcd last week and cleaned up any nasty stuff that got infected in the meantime. Before I was done with that, my keyboard decided to stop working grrrr.

Device manager says it is working/connected etc. I uninstalled the driver in case it was corrupted . The Human Interface service had been stopped and switched to manual as well as a couple more. I think these changes may have been the result of some sort of infection. The hidserv.dll file was missing from windows/system32 folder as well. I've replaced that with a copy but the keyboard still won't work.

Cleaned the keyboard and the bus connector with a blow off tool and reconnected etc also.

Given the changes in the services registry, could I still be dealing with the leftovers of a virus or is it more likely that my keyboard has gone to the motherboard in the sky R.I.P :)

When I connect a number pad through a usb port it works fine but I've not got a full usb keyboard to hand just now.

Are there any other service files or drivers etc that are relevant to getting the keyboard to work, which the virus might have tinkered with? Knowing these I could go in and correct any settings that may have been changed........or alternatively any reputible free software tools to fix it.....

Thanks for your help, if indeed you can make any sense out of the gibberish above :)

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Hello and welcome to TSG!!

I'd suggest trying sfc /scannow, but if you have no keyboard, it makes it a bit difficult, unless, perhaps, you can remote into it to run that command.

Can you boot to a floppy or CD and test the k/b that way? If it's only in Windows, that would certainly rule out a hardware issue. Is re-installing XP a viable option?

3. iwswnb

iwswnb Thread Starter

only problem with running sfc is I can't find the windows cd that camewith the computer. any ways around this?

cheers,
    iwswnb

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
  5. iwswnb

iwswnb Thread Starter

Maybe :)

Will try that route and make the necessary registry change(s) as the drivercache and the i386 folders are already on C:\

I have got all of my fingers and toes crossed

Ouch :)

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Make sure you've got a backup of the Registry! A safety net couldn't hurt ... ;-) Good Luck!

7. iwswnb

iwswnb Thread Starter

I've got a registry backup, plus at any rate I'm sure I can remember all two changes I'll be making :L

:)

8. iwswnb

iwswnb Thread Starter

Just as an experiment today, I removed the keyboard, booted up and uninstalled it in device manager.

After restarting by clicking the prompt, i checked device manager to find the driver re installed and the 'properties' tab saying that the device was connected to the keyboard port and working properly.........

........even though the device was on the desk in the next room and most definitely NOT connected :)

I'mterriblyconfused.com :)

9. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    I wonder if it was the keyboard controller it was seeing ...

10. iwswnb

iwswnb Thread Starter

Does that mean something on the motherboard is messed up or could it still be a registry issue

11. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Does the keyboard work before you get into Windows? Can you access BIOS/CMOS setup or the boot manager? Or boot to another OS via CD (Linux, etc.) and use the keyboard there?

12. iwswnb

iwswnb Thread Starter

Keyboard is unresponsive at all times. I can access the bios etc or safe mode using a usb keyboard. I'll burn an iso of ubuntu and try to boot from that. Linux is handy in that it can run direct from the disk (well at least the gui version)

13. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    It's a bit difficult to determine whether it is the keyboard itself, or the k/b controller without trying another keyboard (USB doesn't count). But, if you cannot use the k/b under Linux, then it's obviously not Windows causing it. It's hardware related at that point ...

14. iwswnb

iwswnb Thread Starter

Will try linux and also perhaps plug in a k/b from another laptop here and see. The k/b, connectors, under the keys etc are clean nd haven't suffered any spills. Is the keyboard controller part of the motherboard?

15. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    The k/b controller is part of the motherboard. It used to be a standalone chip, but has since been integrated into one of the other large-scale integrated chips. Be sure the keyboards are the same. Laptops are notorious for using unique equipment!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1107127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice