1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop keyboard issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlueArtist, Jun 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlueArtist

BlueArtist Thread Starter

Hey, so my samsung-np900x3e laptop had liquid damage to the keyboard, rendering most of the keys inoperable. I did not send it for repair, instead I'm using a USB keyboard right now. It was fine for a while.

So here's the problem: These few days, whenever I start my laptop, it boots into a "Phoenix SecureCore Tiano Setup" thing, and for some reason my external keyboard would not respond for a period of time. I'd have to (I know this is really bad) sort of lightly smash the original keyboard and for some reason my external keyboard would work. Also, when I finally start using the laptop my external keyboard's left Control key would not work. I know that my external keyboard is fully functional as I tested it on another PC.

Can anyone help me here? Why do I always boot into the setup page and why does my external keyboard's control key not work on my laptop? Is it because there's a stuck key somewhere, and if that is the case is it possible for me to disable my built-in keyboard? Finally, what is your opinion on leaving the laptop in sleep mode overnight instead of shutting it down?

Thanks in advance!

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If enough liquids were spilled into the computer i think you might have a lot more problems then a messed up keyboard. i would have it looked at because a lot of the components might be ruined and not fixable.the motherboard, hard drive, ram, etc might have to be replaced. when anything is spilled on a computer it should be shut off and dried out or looked at by someone knowledgeable in computer repair to see how bad things are.im guessing the phoenix message you mentioned is your phoenix BIOS/ motherboard which possibly means it got damaged by the liquid.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't what type of liquid and how much liquid was spilled on that laptop, and if it was completely dried out before using it, so that's going to have a bearing on how much internal damage was done.

I fear you may be left with a large heavy doorstop. :(

------------------------------------------------------------

4. BlueArtist

BlueArtist Thread Starter

The incident was in February, a few drops of water (really very little) got spilled onto the keyboard. I wiped it away and shut off the laptop, but the next day the keyboard went haywire. I'm certain the damage is only limited to the keyboard.

Right now it's that my external usb keyboard's control key is somehow affected by it too. Regarding the boot up issue, its the regular BIOS page and while I'm in that my keyboard is unresponsive. However once I exit it everything's fine. Is there a certain key which causes the laptop to boot into the BIOS page?

Lastly, do you think it is wise to not shut down my laptop but leave it in Hibernate mode? Thanks.

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Even if it was water and only a little bit was spilled it sounds to me that it caused some issues which need to be looked at to see how much damage was done and if its fixable.the fact that the laptop keyboard isnt working right and that its booting to the bios means something is wrong somewhere. on most laptops under the keyboard is usually the motherboard.and my guess is the motherboard got damaged.i think the best course of action would be is to turn the computer off and have it looked at because it will probably just get worse and quit altogether.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1150317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice