1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop keyboard map overlay

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jhalstead, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jhalstead

jhalstead Thread Starter

hi

I purchased an Asus laptop about a year ago and recently hooked up an old USB wireless keyboard/ mouse combo. Logitech Cordless MX Duo. Drivers were already provided by Vista x64. and the keyboard works fine. now to the problem. My integrated 87 key laptop keyboard no longer has the correct key mapping. ( uio=456, jkl=123) so the mapping for the 106 key(or whatever it is) is now overlaid to the 87 key keyboard, even when the USB keyboard is not connected. The mapping was ok on the login screen and on another user account that the USB keyboard was never used on. so it's not a hardware failure. it has to have something to do with the keyboard.inf or some other driver that switches between the two.

any help would be appreciated, i've spent too much time on technet already and gotten no where. :confused:

Thanks

P.S. Vista now has all updates applied.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4094 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS , 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 227476 MB, Free - 155174 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. , N80Vb , 1.0 , BSN12345678901234567
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Disabled

2. jhalstead

jhalstead Thread Starter

no ideas? anyone?

3. jhalstead

jhalstead Thread Starter

anyone know where the registry key is that points to the keyboard map? or where those types of settings are stored?

4. PedroHin

PedroHin

So, when you press the numlock on the laptop keyboard, the 'U' no longer produces a '4' ?

What does it produce when the numlock is lit up?

5. jhalstead

jhalstead Thread Starter

LMAO! i've been looking at this problem for more than a week and never thought to check Num lock status. There is no problem. I just didn't know there was a Number pad function. I didn't know why the letters were typing numbers. This is my first laptop and i've never had a reason to use number lock until i had a full size keyboard with number pad on it.Without Numlock on, the keys type fine. i've been working with computers for years and it didn't take much to knock me down a peg... i must be an expert noob....

Thanks alot. :eek:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice