Laptop keyboard map overlay

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jhalstead

hi

I purchased an Asus laptop about a year ago and recently hooked up an old USB wireless keyboard/ mouse combo. Logitech Cordless MX Duo. Drivers were already provided by Vista x64. and the keyboard works fine. now to the problem. My integrated 87 key laptop keyboard no longer has the correct key mapping. ( uio=456, jkl=123) so the mapping for the 106 key(or whatever it is) is now overlaid to the 87 key keyboard, even when the USB keyboard is not connected. The mapping was ok on the login screen and on another user account that the USB keyboard was never used on. so it's not a hardware failure. it has to have something to do with the keyboard.inf or some other driver that switches between the two.

any help would be appreciated, i've spent too much time on technet already and gotten no where. :confused:

Thanks

P.S. Vista now has all updates applied.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 4094 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS , 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 227476 MB, Free - 155174 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. , N80Vb , 1.0 , BSN12345678901234567
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Disabled

jhalstead

anyone know where the registry key is that points to the keyboard map? or where those types of settings are stored?

So, when you press the numlock on the laptop keyboard, the 'U' no longer produces a '4' ?

What does it produce when the numlock is lit up?

jhalstead

LMAO! i've been looking at this problem for more than a week and never thought to check Num lock status. There is no problem. I just didn't know there was a Number pad function. I didn't know why the letters were typing numbers. This is my first laptop and i've never had a reason to use number lock until i had a full size keyboard with number pad on it.Without Numlock on, the keys type fine. i've been working with computers for years and it didn't take much to knock me down a peg... i must be an expert noob....

Thanks alot. :eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online