1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop keyboard or mouse issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wacor, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wacor

wacor Banned Thread Starter

i maybe in the wrong forum but my laptop keyboard is driving me nuts. got a 3 month old HP laptop with a synaptics built in mouse.

off and on the mouse would not work where i could scroll down a page using the wheel.

it got worse so i rolled back the driver. now it scrolls just fine but when i type things jump all over where i have been typing. it is like i hit something where it all of a sudden sends the cursor to an earlier point where i have been typing

i dont know if this is keyboard or mouse related. i could swear there is something that i adjusted long ago on the mouse to make it less sensetive to the touch but can not find it

2. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

Start\Settings\Control Panel

In there you will find the Mouse and Keboard Icons,from there you can adjust the acceleration..

3. wacor

accelleration is not an issue

it is a matter of touch.

something i am bumping which i am guessing is on the keypad is making this happen. and i can not find in the mouse controls in control panel anything that deals with sensetivity. I know i saw somewhere before a control that dealt with automatic bumping but dont know where.

i think i saw on a post somewhere that you could do something in bios but i did not find anything there

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I believe you're referring to a built-in touchpad not a mouse. I'm not aware of any laptops with built-in mice with physical scroll wheels. New Synaptics touchpads come with a scroll area.

Did you install the Synaptics software? It should be available on HP's web site for your specific laptop model.

5. wacor

you are right it is a touchpad and not a mouse

on the right side of the touchpad is what i would consider the touchpad version of a mouse wheel.

thanks for the advice on the driver. i am not sure if that is the issue or not. there is a place somewhere that you can adjust the sensitivity of the touch pad to avert accidental movements but can not find that.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You'll find that setting after you install the Synaptics software.

7. wacor

Thanks I will give it a go when i get home.

Not sure if i made it clear but the touchpad does work find now after rolling back the driver. just this other issue with the cursor jumping all over now. i will see if a new driver will take care of it.

8. wacor

downloading the driver may have eliminiated the skipping on the cursor but now i am back to the wheel or whatever you call it on the touchpad not working again.

and dont know if this is related but a week ago i had a windows update have problems loading. it would take forever. so i rebooted and then it seemed to load.

now i have another update that has taken 2 days on cable modem to download. and the last hour it went from 50% to 60%

so i may have other issues although when the last update was slow the security forum found nothing obvious.

probably getting to spread out but is there a way to stop a windows download? am thinking maybe i need to remove this current one trying to load along with the last one and try to reload them

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/504374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice