1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop keyboard problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Peter2301, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peter2301

Peter2301 Thread Starter

I have here a HP Pavilion G6 laptop.
    The keys on the keyboard all give the wrong number/letter/character.
    e.g. s=z
    d=v
    and so on, some keys dont do anything some will do volume up/down etc. Basically they are all over the place.
    This is what I have done to correct the problem.
    checked that the correct UK layout keyboard was installed
    deleted then reinstalled the driver
    done virus and malware scans
    replaced the keyboard with a new one

Nothing has fixed the problem. If I plug in an external keyboard this works fine.
    Any ideas?

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Based on what you have done, I would suspect the problem lies in one or two places:

1) Did the replacement keyboard come with a cable to connect or did you use the existing one (not sure if the cable is on the keyboard or motherboard, but suspect its on the keyboard)? If it is still the original cable then that could be the problem.
    2) If the new cable came attached to the new keyboard, then it could be a problem with the motherboard itself.

Have you recently done any updates i.e. moving to Windows 10 or something similar around the time the problem started?
    Any spillages of any kind on the laptop (water or solid)?

3. Peter2301

Peter2301 Thread Starter

Yes the replacement came with a ribbon attached so is also brand new.
    No updates of any significance
    and no water damage I am aware of

4. Peter2301

Peter2301 Thread Starter

One thing I have discovered is it works fine with an external keyboard, so I assume that rules out a software issue?

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes it's probably a hardware problem if the external keyboard works ok.

Double check you fitted the new keyboard cable properly, the white line should be parallel to the 'locking bar' and as far to the right as possible, but don't force it, see Step 3 here :- http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03650828

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1157827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice