1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Laptop Keys stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elynda, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elynda

Elynda Thread Starter

I am using an HP Pavilion Dv6 laptop. Recently I have encountered a problem with some keys not responding, specifically the G and H keys, and also the Windows key, which will no longer return me to the desktop when I am playing games. I have had to plug in an old USB keyboard to type this.

Troubleshooting doesn't detect any problems, drivers are all up to date. I have tried cleaning the keyboard and I have even removed the key caps and checked for dirt under them. They were still unresponsive.

One solution I was offered was to unplug the computer, remove the battery and then press and hold the power button for twenty seconds. This I have done, twice, and it appeared to work for a while, but later the same keys became unresponsive again.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6091 Mb
    Graphics Card: Radeon (TM) HD 6490M, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 682 GB (495 GB Free); D: 16 GB (2 GB Free); F: 1862 GB (1634 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 17F9
    Antivirus: 360 Total Security, Enabled and Updated

2. jmatt

jmatt

To isolate the problem, try/borrow an USB keyboard.

3. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hello Elynda,

Which would normally suggest that it is hardware related as a software issue would still be present with an external keyboard.

What you describe may suggest that you need a new keypad as it sounds like the keys that you mention have become worn over time, not uncommon with older notebooks that have regular use.

You need to make sure that any replacement is the correct one for your notebook as there are various models of the HP Pavilion Dv6, example replacement keyboard and example HP replacement guide.

You can get less expensive replacement keypads and it is your choice as to what you may purchase.

4. Elynda

Elynda Thread Starter

Hmm, I was afraid that might be the case. I've had this machine for some time now and been quite happy with it, but I guess nothing lasts forever. I think it's time to consider a new laptop. Meanwhile I shall just have to soldier on with this plug in keyboard.

Thanks for your reply.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You might want to consider replacing or getting someone to replace the keyboard. They don't seem expensive.
    https://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Pavilion-DV6000-DV6100-441427-001/dp/B0032GTMP8
    https://www.newegg.com/p/2RC-007M-002H9

I had someone replace the keyboard in my husband's Acer netbook from 2011. The keyboard cost $30 and it cost $35 in labor. (I was afraid to do it myself. Though I did watch him do it and I now feel I could do this myself.) $65 was a lot cheaper than getting him a new netbook.

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

Some keyboards are easy to change, some a monsters. this doesn't look too bad

7. Elynda

Elynda Thread Starter

@plodr Thanks for the info, I shall certainly look into finding a replacement keyboard. I'd prefer to keep this machine up and running as long as I can. Getting a new computer will certainly mean Windows 10 - something I'm not prepared to face at the moment.

@lynx1021 Yeah, that seems simple enough. That's encouraging, thanks.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  9. phillpower2

phillpower2

The keyboard at the Amazon link that Liz provided would be my choice if you are in the US, the Newegg offering ships from China so not my ideal choice, below is some feedback from the Amazon link;

i bought this keyboard to replace one that had a broken key, 8 screws , and 15 minutes, all done and working like a charm . only tool need is a Philips head screwdriver. I went online and searched how to replace a keyboard on a dv6000, and watched a u-tube video. easy-peasy. and for the price, if you need one , don`t hesitate, just get it .

10. Elynda

Elynda Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for your help and advice. And, sorry, I ought to have mentioned before that I was in the UK. My bad!

I am still hopeful of obtaining a keyboard from Amazon, though neither of the versions in the links appears to be the correct one. The one shown in the video looks to be right, although I understand that they can look the same from the top, but be completely different underneath. How can I determine the exact type that I need?

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  11. phillpower2

phillpower2

UK keypad available from here

Note the -6B09SA after HP Pavilion DV6, check the base of your notebook for something similar.

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    As phillpower2 said you do need the full laptop model to search for the correct keyboard.

I would look on Ebay.co.uk as well as Amazon.

If you have trouble finding the correct one you could remove the keyboard to see if it has it's own model details underneath then search for that.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What is the exact model number?

14. Elynda

Elynda Thread Starter

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  15. phillpower2

phillpower2

Sounds like a plan (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice