1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop lags a little during gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by nerd-girl, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nerd-girl

nerd-girl Thread Starter

If I try to play a graphic intensive game such as Fallout 3, it tends to lag/stick a little during the game but not all the time, just periodically. I'd like to be able to devote all the pc resources to the game, is there a way I could set up a second account on the laptop with a certain minimised start up, so that the laptop would be able to run the game comfortably with nothing going on in the background?

Am running Vista with 2GB ram and have an nvidia card but I think it is shared memory which may be part of the problem. I figure if I can minimise the programs running in the background I should be able to improve performance slightly, is this right?

2. BG-0

BG-0

Try it out. Create another administrative account, open msconfig.exe (Run, type "msconfig", press enter), open Startup tab, uncheck everything else than drivers(nWiz, nvmctray, the nvcpl can go, then any audio drivers you have, don't disable them). If you're unsure, google all uncertain entries in the list, you should be able to determine what they are), you might want to disable antivirus and firewalls too, just disconnect from wireless (and wired, if you're at it), while using that account to game.
    Another reason could be slight overheating. You could want to try running with the laptop elevated a bit from the surface it's on, for example put books on the sides to raise it(if there aren't vents on the sides. Put the books or whatever anywhere where there isn't a cooling vent/grill)... If this seems to help, you might want to get a laptop cooler (a box with fans or passive coolers that helps keep the laptop a bit cooler)

3. printmatt

printmatt

Or you can buy a dedicated graphics card for the laptop, but that will lessen your battery time.

4. Adrenalineflash

Adrenalineflash

It sounds like overheating to me, based on my experience with laptop gaming.

How does this work? I thought most laptops couldn't have their video cards replaced.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/839912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice