1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop LAN i/f not working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nick-Roger, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nick-Roger

Nick-Roger Thread Starter

My Windows laptop works on a wireless connection but will not connect to the Web via its ethernet socket. I've tried this in more than one location and used other devices successfully on identical connections so cables, routers, browsers, etc. appear to be fine. There are no indications of driver errors and the relevant driver is up to date. Are there any further tests I might try or known fixes? Thanks.
    Aspire 5755G
    Win7 Home Premium SP1, 64bit
    Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet, version 14.8.0.5

2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

If the ethernet successfully connects to the LAN but there is no internet access then the problem is likely a firewall.

If the ethernet does not connect to the LAN there is a very small chance of a misconfigured or corrupted firewall, but it sounds like you a describing a defective NIC.

4. Nick-Roger

Thanks Terry. Windows reports "Cannot connect to DNS". I've now turned off Windows Firewall (I'm always behind a router) but this has made no difference. I guess it's a NIC hardware failure then.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You're welcome. :) Try a USB ethernet adapter (if ethernet is important).

6. Nick-Roger

Not vital but useful when I want maximum speed and for checking the complex setup I have at my holiday properties, which include 4 WAPs. I guess I'll need to upgrade my laptop soon. Thanks for your advice.

7. fishscene

fishscene

8. Nick-Roger

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it but didn't work unfortunately.

9. Nick-Roger

OK, I'm (briefly) at another location that is important to me for internet access; this is my holiday-home business which provides broadband for visitors. The main router connects to ADSL and is in turn wire-connected to 4 wireless access points. My wife's and my own phones and tablets connect wirelessly to all WAPs and the router; her netbook connects OK via LAN (we brought everything we have to test this setup!)
    My laptop (with the non-functioning LAN connection) connects OK with wireless to the main router and to some WAPs (testing to the latter is often difficult as the respective properties are occupied and the signals generally weak through the 2-foot thick granite walls). One of the WAPs is in my own little studio appartment and the laptop connects to the excellent wireless signal but generally (not always) fails to connect to the internet (DNS) - it tends to work very briefly. No amount of reset (or power off, power on) helps.
    Any ideas before I give up on this troublesome PC?

10. Couriant

Couriant James Trusted Advisor

Curious, what does your IPCONFIG/ALL show for IP and DNS information on Ethernet?

11. Nick-Roger

I'm no longer at the location I described but somewhere with access only to public wifi. Generally the signal is weak (typically 2 bars or none) but while my phone and tablet can connect when there is a signal my laptop never does. I've attached screenshots of the nbtstat and config all commands.

I get a strong signal in the local pub and the laptop seems to connect fine (I'm using it now). I'll try to post the command results from here too, if they'll allow me to connect long enough.

Attached Files:

12. Nick-Roger

OK, this is from the pub, where it's working. Hope it tells you something! Thanks.

Attached Files:

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You're using a static IP address on the ethernet. Do you always have it set correctly for each network you've attempted to use? Suggest you try a dynamic (Dhcp) connection in case you don't have the static set properly.

14. Nick-Roger

Thanks for that Terry. It seems I was using DHCP on IPv6 but not on IPv4 so I've changed that. I won't be able to check the LAN connection until next week but I'll post the results then.
    I conclude that the wireless connection for the laptop works in most cases but not with the WAP in my studio apartment at the holiday properties. That won't matter if the LAN is OK now but it's strange because other devices work fine (DHCP is set for wireless). I won't be able to check anything there for 4/6 weeks but hopefully we've made progress!

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Yeah, thanks to Couriant asking for the ipconfig /all. :) I almost always ask for one, but sure blew it this time.

16. Couriant

Couriant James Trusted Advisor

:D that's what I am here for :)

Since you didn't have a cord in so the DNS information did not show for the Ethernet, can you go to the Network Card Properties (Control Panel > *Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre > Change Adapter Properties > right click on Local Area Connection > click Properties > highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 and click Properties) and notate the DNS settings here. I'm curious to see what you have there as if you are using a static IP, then the DNS is also static.

* This will show only in Category view.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1155101