1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop lcd light problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kungfufembot, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kungfufembot

kungfufembot Thread Starter

i have a dell inspiron 9300, and i use a usb mouse. when i close my laptop lid, the monitor light turns off as it should, since i have it set to "do nothing" when the lid is closed. when i touch my usb mouse, though, it turns the monitor light back on, and after that i can't get it to turn back off unless i lift the lid and put it back down.

why is my usb mouse triggering my monitor light to turn back on? i looked for a setting in the mouse section of the control panel, but i have had no luck finding anything. i've been searching the web for a solution, too, but have found nothing.

does anyone know a fix for this that doesn't involve having my monitor turn off after 5 mins of no use? i'm worried about overheating my computer.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Open the Device Manager (run: devmgmt.msc) and under "Mice and other pointing devices" select "Hid-Compliant Mouse" (or whatever you see there), and right click and select Properties.

Under the Power Management tab, UNcheck "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby"

You may have to reboot for the policy to take effect, or maybe not :)

Make sure you can use the keyboard to bring the computer out of standby before you do this.

3. kungfufembot

i followed your instructions, but there was no power management tab.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

See attachment; are you there?

Attached Files:

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Don't laptops still have actual physical plastic pins that prevent the screen from coming on when closed? Are you actually seeing the backlight on your laptop's LCD panel?

6. kungfufembot

i am, see mine?

Attached Files:

7. kungfufembot

if mine has one, it's not visible. when the lid is down, and i move my optical mouse, it turns the monitor light on. i can see it through the cracks.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you sure the lid is completely closed? Does it actually snap shut? I just can't believe that laptop manufacturers moved that kind of power saving technology from within the chassis itself to an externally connected mouse.

9. kungfufembot

i'm sure, it clicks closed. sometimes when i move the mouse it will flicker on, but then go back off. then other times, it will just stay on all the way. i don't have my computer set to go into standby at any time, so i'm not sure the power management option would even be any help.

do you think that maybe the switch that detects the lid being closed is damaged? but then why only when the mouse is moved?

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't think you are in the right key in the Device Manager. What you are looking for is not your particular mouse model, but the "hid-compliant" generic device for the mouse.

If it doesn't say "HID" on it, that's not it.

I have a "Razer" mouse; if I open its properties there is no power management tab either.

11. kungfufembot

that one doesn't, either. :/

Attached Files:

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well that is a surprise.

Have a look under the Human Interface Devices key for any mouse entries there and check the properties tab.

I notice that on my laptop the entry for the HID ps/2 mouse does not have a power management tab -- but there is another "hid-compliant" entry there that does.

Now I use a USB mouse so that might be the difference.

13. kungfufembot

i'm beginning to think that i'll never have this solved. i even downloaded a program that turns of your monitor and locks your keyboard/mouse with a hotkey. i turned off the monitor with it, closed my lid, and when i moved my mouse, it still turned on!

arggh.

Attached Files:

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You might try uninstalling the USB mouse from the Device Manager, reboot and let Windows redetect and reinstall drivers for it.

Uninstall this as well >> http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/129518d1207114014/mouseprop2.gif See if it comes back with a power management tab.

And why is this there at all if you are using a USB mouse -- it's for ps/2 >> http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/129516d1207106756/mouseprop.gif

Also in the Device Manager, under the "Computer" key do you see ACPI listed there?

And under System Devices, do you see ACPI lid and some others?

Finally do you have any "touchpad" drivers loading? These can be disabled and often cause conflicts. They are the "synaptic" drivers you might see when running msconfig and looking under the startup group.

15. kungfufembot

i think all i have to do is uninstall that ps/2 compatible mouse! except when i try, it prompts me to restart my computer, and then re-installs itself. i have nothing plugged into my usb ports except for my mouse.

i'm confused as to why it's even there, because i don't have a ps/2 connector on my laptop at all.

ACPI exists in both places mentioned.

i don't have that many things listed in start-up because i reformatted my computer not too long ago. i don't see anything listed there that looks like a touchpad driver.

i checked out my keyboard settings just to compare, and it says that it's also ps/2 compatible. so maybe the ps/2 compatible mouse is just my touchpad mouse?

i can't pretend to really know what i'm looking at, but this is all getting really frustrating. i don't want to have to unplug my mouse every night before i go to sleep so that my monitor light doesn't overheat my computer. i never had this problem before recently...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!