1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop LCD to a regular monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cdavis12, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cdavis12

cdavis12 Thread Starter

I have a Dell inspiron 5150 with the infamous problem with its motherboard and i've given up and will be selling its parts. I was wondering how i could convert its display into regular monitor to use as an extra display for my new laptop/desktop.:)

2. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

3. cdavis12

cdavis12 Thread Starter

I was just reading through that thread. I wasnt sure if it was outdated or not.

I have the complete assembly: screen, inverter, cables, and laptop video card (nvidia fx blah blah).

I guess the big question is if there is premade housing that accepts the connections from the inverter to video card cable.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The difficulty would be interfacing it to a PC.

It's not a "standard" connection, and the Dell video card that marries to the laptop will be proprietary to the Dell laptop motherboard as to it's inputs.

It may have an extra "VGA output" socket, but that's not going to help as its output, you still need to find a way to get the PC Video data into the whole assemly of components.

5. cdavis12

cdavis12 Thread Starter

from what everyone is saying it appears unless I'm willing to put in countless hours of hard labor and a senseless amount of money, it's not worth it unless I'm shooting for nerd points.

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Ohhh nerd points... I am in! Whats the first step? :D

Yeah in all interfacing the display modifications it really isn't cost effective now that LCD monitors are so cheap out of the box.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I suspect the true cost of interfacing (assuming it was possible) would end up several times greater than the cost of a new LCD screen.

However we don't know your background, if you were a skilled hardware technician with a detailed understanding of the logic circuitry Dell use, and of the standard PCI and AGP slot requirements, it may indeed be possible to build a custom PCI or AGP slot circuit board from scratch, to interface with what you have.

But then if that were the case, I also suspect you would not be posting here...

8. cdavis12

cdavis12 Thread Starter

I'm not sure if that's a stab at me or not. You're still correct, though.

I was unaware at the difficulty until i thoroughly read through the above mentioned thread.

9. steveb1492

steveb1492

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Sorry, not "having a stab" in any way, but just saying it's possible for a dedicated hardware expert to do (maybe), but anyone who had that ability would not be asking here, so its become a self answered question.

I have been in and around the PC industry since 1981 and I know of nobody that would possess that ability either, in an economic sense. I can make custom PCI cards and have done so, but I would back away from that task, freely admitting that I do not know how, as the information is just not available on what interface signals are used by Dell.

The cost of a one-off PCI prototype board and interface would be more than a new screen would cost me even if I did have access to all the data. Then there is the issue of a suitable case and it's cost.

Meanwhile the parts you have do have a real $ value to any Dell owner that has a broken screen. Offer it as a clean swap for an LCD monitor....

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice