1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop lid has hairline cracks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nanaj56, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nanaj56

nanaj56 Thread Starter

My laptop lid has hairline cracks at the back of the lid. Can this be repaired or will I have to junk it? If not does it cause any problems to use my laptop this way?

Thanks anyone
    nanaj56

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If its the lid, then it shouldn't cause any problems. However if the problem worsens to a point that the lid starts to fall apart or causes problems when opening the screen, it should be fixed.

If this is occurring around the hinges then its likely the hinges need to be be replaced - this generally does worsen if the cover is hard to open, but only costs about $200 to fix.

3. nanaj56

nanaj56 Thread Starter

The cracks are located near one of the hinges. Will the cracks be repaired also or will the replacement of the hinge stop further damage?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If they are extremely small, you may want to leave it for awhile - it might not get any worse. If it does, you'll need to replace the hinges (before then LCD gets damaged or the lid stops opening) and if you wish, the top part of the lid. Each hinge is generally its own seperate part and the lid would be a third part. The only purpose the lid serves is to cover the internal components.

Of course thats if the hinges are the cause - does it take quite a bit force to open the lid? The cracks could be from external pressure applied to the lid - like pressing down on it.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think I'd consider addressing the cracks before they worsen, since if it cracks totally, it'll be very difficult to rebuild it.

Obviously, this would depend on actually seeing it and evaluating if it's a cosmetic issue or a real structural issue.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice