1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Lid Logoff

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by VTfletch, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VTfletch

VTfletch Thread Starter

Is there any way to set a laptop to logout of the current user when the lid is shut. I was hoping it would be an option in the power options in the control panel but no luck, the only options are nothing and stand by. I am working with a Dell Latitude D620 with windows XP professional.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You can set the requirement to have to enter the password when coming out of standby

3. N E Key

N E Key

Normally, you would find those kind of options in the BIOS of the laptop. Not sure about logout, but should be a setting to power off when lid is shut.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Many people set the laptop to sleep or hibernate when the lid closes. There's no reason you have to set it to power off, that's what the power switch is for. ;)

5. VTfletch

VTfletch Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. Not quite what I am looking for though. This would be a security feature cause I would like it to log out of a program and the only way that can be done is to log out of the user. Going into standby leaves that program open and available.

6. JohnWill

Not if you configure to require a password when returning from hibernate or sleep modes.

7. VTfletch

VTfletch Thread Starter

As of now I have the laptop set to logoff after 10 minutes of inactivity. I have it set to go into standby when lid is closed and ask for a password to return from standby. My problem is that when you enter the password to return from standby, the system restores itself to the state it was in when it went into standby. This in my case includes being logged into a specialized program with sensitive data. Since my users cant be trusted to log out of the software I was hoping to provide a high level of security by causing it to log off when the lid is shut, since even the most inexperienced users will most likely shut the lid when they are finished with the laptop. While it is possible for a windows password to be hacked, it is much more difficult to hack the password on the specialized program.

8. JohnWill

9. VTfletch

VTfletch Thread Starter

Awesome exactly what I'm looking for. Definitely appreciate it.

10. JohnWill

Let us know if you get that working. :)

11. VTfletch

VTfletch Thread Starter

I got it working. Its a little awkward since it doesnt force the logoff until it resumes from standby since the script pauses I assume when it goes into standby, but I'm looking for a work around in the script.

12. JohnWill

I think that may be as good as it gets. Unless you can find a way to intercept the standby request. I looked for that, but I didn't find anything.

13. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice