1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop locked down due to the fact that it was a display model

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shooter120mm, Sep 16, 2019.

1. shooter120mm

shooter120mm Thread Starter

So as the title states, I bought a Display Model Laptop from Walmart. A 1600 dollar laptop for 600. The HP Omen 17 Laptop.

But the question that I have and hopefully you can help me out. The laptop seems to be locked down due to the fact that it was a display model, so I was just wondering is there anyway that you can do a factory reset without having to have admin privileges?

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

If Walmart had any kind of competent help.....that should have been done before it left the premises. It might be just stuck in demo mode and needs a password to unlock it. I'd take it back and have the Electronics department Mgr deal with it.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I had that happen to a client a few years ago.
    She bought a HP Pavilion desktop from "Best Buy" which had been used for a display model and which was password protected.
    The store couldn't fix the problem by phone, and she didn't want to go through the hassle of bringing it back to the store, so she called me.
    I ran its built-in factory restore partition (which fortunately still worked) and reverted it back to its original new condition.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233058

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice