1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop locks up and has become very slowwwwwwww

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by staples4458, Nov 11, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

When a disk check has claimed to fix problems I always run it again to make sure the same errors do not show again.

2. staples4458

staples4458 Thread Starter

RE: Malware Bytes...it is the free version and I installed it like yeara ago. Definitely not recently. I will try to find the exact date for you.

Anything else I can do for this thing?

3. staples4458

Terry

Excuse my lack of expertise in reading a chkdsk but did it repair errors? Should I run it again. Derek? Anyone?

4. staples4458

Malware Bytes was added in April, 2012. I have had it for many years but barely use it. It always just comes up with the same 2 registry items over and over again.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I would run it again. I see the following from the output ...

Cleaning up instance tags for file 0xca7d.

Recovering orphaned file 204A5C~1.LOG (102260) into directory file 123425.
    Recovering orphaned file 2012-12-16_13-27_15f4-rrhvgd49.log (102260) into directory file 123425.

Cleaning up 1188 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 1188 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 1188 unused security descriptors.

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.

Those don't seem serious at all, but if they keep showing up they could be indicating that the hard drive is becoming less reliable. I also don't think those errors are the source of your problems, but it's good to keep an eye on the health of your hard drive.

6. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

There is still more to do - this matter will not be solved quickly and I ask that you stay with me until it is solved or I surrender.
    PLEASE DO NOT run any analysis tools yourself, as I need to know that the system remains as is, with no changes made by any such tools.
    The results of the chkdsk raise no concerns
    As I mentioned 15
    It is quite usual to find
    They are unused entries from the indes of files on the hard drive and the term security descriptors relate to permission to access those files
    It is not, as I said un unusual to find such record and it can be caused by the use of CCleaner.
    HOWEVER now my colleague has posted his advice - run chkdsk again but this time run chkdsk /f
    It is quicker than chkdsk /r and that is NOT needed again.

The orphaned files are as I said files without a parent and one of them appears to relate to
    2012-12-16_13-27_15f4-rrhvgd49.log

some manner of log in program and as you can see the log date was 2012.
    It is at this stage a matter of no concern.

You have CCleaner installed - do you use the registry aspect as well as the cleaner and is the program set to run automatically.
    Please do NOT run CCleaner while I am working with you

The reason I asked about Malwarebytes is that the latest version as become more than just a malware application, and is not always compatible with anti virus programs. There is evidence of it causing problems similar to yours
    However that is when it is running in real time - NOT when it is simply a scan on demand.

Please run this
    Open Control Panel
    Admin Tools
    Windows Memory Diagnostic - right click and click run as admin
    When the window opens
    click restart now
    the computer will restart and you will see a window telling you the tools is running
    It will indicate the test % and the overall %
    It will also indicate if any problems are found as the test progresses
    When the test has been completed the computer will restart and a log will be displayed
    PLEASE send a copy of that log on your reply

(In case another member should post that MEMTEST is more reliable I agree - but please run the requested WMD at this stage)

7. staples4458

Before I do anything I want to tell you that I lost all my settings on Firefox. Hundreds of bookmarks, any saved places, toolbar settings...EVERYTHING and it was like nothing happened. I didnt have a major freeze and had to reboot or anything. It just disappeared

The reason I make mention of this I did go to system restore to see my restore settings and I had one for a couple days ago, after the addition of WORD 2016, so that is still intact. I ran it to a couple of days prior, it didn't help with the Firefox so what ever happened was permanent. I hope my doing that didn't screw up anything you are doing. Now I will be much more careful and not run stuff based on your instructions.

I will run those tests later on.

Thank you

Billy

8. Macboatmaster

I am not sure if this
    is merely a miswording

Was the restore in an attempt get back the lost data OR did that happen after the restore. I think it was to try and restore the lost Firefox data but please confirm

See if you can get your bookmarks for Firefox
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/restore-bookmarks-from-backup-or-move-them

9. staples4458

Now I will be much more careful and not run stuff based on your instructions.

Yes that was definitely a typo and will run stuff based ONLY on your instructions. My apologies for the confusion

and yes it was only an attempt to get back the Firefox information. That is it. anything else is a bit confusing to me and I would probably only make it worse.

10. Macboatmaster

11. staples4458

CCleaner hasn't run in about a week or so. I tried it when I started having all these issues.

I am going to go run the last thing you needed me to do shortly. Finally got some time, thanks.

Billy

12. Macboatmaster

Cheers I am offline until LATE about 2300

13. staples4458

Cheers right back at you!

I have encountered some new problems, and they have become a reap PIA.

It seems that with Firefox starting over that I have lost everything associated with. Not just my bookmarks but all the saved passwords and bookmarks. The toolbars are wiped clean. I mean some websites that I have been using for years have lost their login info. I haven't actually had to use a name or PW for years and have no idea where that info went on my end, it has been so long.

I am screwed. I feel like I am completely starting over with this thing, I am not sure what happened or what is going on.

Did or could anything thing we have run caused this? I doubt it, but wanted to ask.

Thanks and I look forward to your continued help.

Billy

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

What's this about "Firefox starting over"? Did you uninstall Firefox and delete the data?

I understood losing the bookmarks, as mine mysteriously disappeared the same way about a week ago. Restoring them (with the automatic backups done by Firefox) to the previous day fixed that so I didn't even have to go to my own periodic backups of data I do not care to lose.

15. staples4458

No I didn't uninstall Firefox. I re-started it and thats about when it happened. It also occurred after some of the tests we ran but don't think it was related. All I did was reboot my laptop which has to be done frequently.

This is my story and I am sticking to it!!! (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1199324