1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Makes a Beeping sound when turned on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zisthewiz, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zisthewiz

zisthewiz Thread Starter

everytime i turn on my laptop it makes a loud annoying beepig sound. i started about 2 months ago. and i have no idea why. it was fine before hand and now it just beeps untill i press enter.

my laptop is a toshiba satellite. and it windows xp. it freeks me out each time and i have no idea why that happens thanks

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The beeping will be a BIOS "message" of a fault, that can usually be determined by the exact beep sequence.

If you listen carefully, is there a sequence to the beeping (such as one long and 3 short beeps, repeating, or is it just continuous short beeps, long beeps or ???)

3. zisthewiz

zisthewiz Thread Starter

its short repeative beeps that dont stop till you press enter. then it works fine its just at the start up. im not sure why. thanks

4. zisthewiz

zisthewiz Thread Starter

well if anyone can help that would be great

5. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Do you have a power on password set on the laptop? If so, change it to nothing.

Other than that, contact Toshiba.

Courtney

6. zisthewiz

zisthewiz Thread Starter

no i dont they dont know how to help me either lol. i called and did a scan disk and nothing thats what they told me to do. i mean i have no idea why it does that sound it just started outta the blue. i was doing what i normally do. and i turn it off and then when i went to turn it on again the next day it just started to beep and it been like for like 2 to 3 months now.

7. jnibori

jnibori

Do you know the BIOS vendor?

Additional ( Sort of depends on the vendor as well)

8. zisthewiz

zisthewiz Thread Starter

i have no idea what bios is and i dont get any messages just the sounds when it turns on.

9. EvilAzza

EvilAzza

how much ram does it have, have you noticed the ram amount decrease?

10. zisthewiz

zisthewiz Thread Starter

um how do i know how much ram it has? sorry im not to computer savy

11. zisthewiz

zisthewiz Thread Starter

well it says it has 448 ram but i dont know how to even check for less or anything of that nature. lol.

12. EvilAzza

EvilAzza

hmm, just considering most beeps i've ever got were memory related, but the pc still runs fine doesnt it?

13. zisthewiz

zisthewiz Thread Starter

well it some degree. it does freeze from time to time and i have to restart it. i mean i suppose thats normal? i have no idea lol

14. EvilAzza

EvilAzza

it shouldnt but a lot of pc's do :p depends what 'time to time' is like once a day or..

15. zisthewiz

zisthewiz Thread Starter

well sometimes it happens like while im using it within 2 hours about 2 to 3 times and sometimes it might not happen at all but once or none at all.

but it worries me when i hear it. it doesnt stop till i press enter and i wonder if its something more.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/733015