1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop making clicking noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elliejane, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elliejane

elliejane Thread Starter

My laptop computer (Dell Inspiron 1525) has been making a weird ticka-ticka-ticka noise since last night, only when I load a website that's heavy in photos or video (and not every time.) The noise sounds similar to an mp3 file of hard drive spindle motor failure I found through Google, but it doesn't have that background whine and seems to coincide with the fan speeding up. It also doesn't sound like it's coming from the hard drive (located at the lower left side in my laptop, I believe), but the middle-to-upper left side.

Can someone help me identify what's likely to be wrong? The computer is several years old, so I'm not surprised if something's breaking down, but I sure hope it's repairable.

My specs: (yes, I'm aware that I'm extremely behind in the updates)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2037 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 220874 MB, Free - 112041 MB; D: Total - 14999 MB, Free - 9043 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0U990C
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

2. dai

dai

check there is not a wire touching a fan blade

a fan unbalanced by dust

run dell diagnostics

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice