Laptop Malfunction

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Phuquet

A good friend of mine was using her laptop (IBM Thinkpad A31 running WinXP) and spilled a very small amount of liquid (soda) on the Pause/Break-Scroll Lock/Print key block. A few minutes after, the laptop BSOD'd, giving her a 'HARDWARE MALFUNCTION' error and ***SYSTEM HALTED***. She also believes that she may have bumped it while attempting to clean the spill.

Subsequently, when she attempts to turn on the computer, the fan/power light come on (sounds as though it's booting regularly) but the screen remains black and there is an error beep sequence of 4 (short) beeps, 4 times over, and then stops (though the power light/fan remain on) like:

4-4-4-4, 4-4-4-4, 4-4-4-4, 4-4-4-4

This was perplexing to me, as it's no error code I've ever heard of. She believes that the error was caused by the liquid, but it was a very small amount, and was cleaned immediately.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, soda is one of the worst things to pour in your laptop! I think at a minimum you need to have it partially disassembled to determine how much of that "very small amount" got into something critical.

I think she's very likely right about the soda, since it's very corrosive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online