1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop mobo died, can't transfer files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dishiki, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dishiki

Dishiki Thread Starter

I am trying to get files off a HD from a laptop whose MB died.

I was able to get the laptop HD via USB slaved to another laptop. The problem I am having is transferring some files. I have a folder where none of the contents can be viewed or transferred. When I click on the properties of the folder, read only is checked. I uncheck it and hit apply but it doesn't allow me to save it. If I go back into properties read only is still checked. Any idea how to fix this so I can transfer the files?

If I mouse over any file, it says they are encrypted. If I right click a file and hit properties, then advanced it has files are encrypted to secure data box checked. I cannot uncheck it

2. haycg

haycg

3. Dishiki

Dishiki Thread Starter

Isn't the problem with that though is that I would have to boot from the HD? I cannot. ANd I don't think I can simply just pull the HD out of one laptop and just pop this one in right? It won't boot will it?

4. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Booting whatever has nothing to do with taking file ownership. But I believe that is a false lead. File ownership doesn't make a difference to encryted files. You need your encryption key to unlock them

This is what you needed to do to gain access to these files.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457116.aspx

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice