Laptop modem/NIC choices

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

crash777

I am considering the purchase of a Dell Insprion laptopm w/ a combo modem+10/100 NIC. However, I know nothing about the combo's they use. Can anyone tell me more about these choices:

- Internal mini-PCI Dell TrueMobile 1150 Wireless Networking

- Motorola Bluetooth™Wireless PC-Crd

- Dell Truemobile 1150, 802.11b PC-Card

I believe the Truemobile 1150 is either a 3COM or Xircom unit, but I'm not absolutely certain. Dell techs don't know for certain. They say the choices vary all the time.

If none of these are any good, can anyone recommend a better choice?

Thanks to all.

Hi crash

I see that you want to go wireless. I can't link you to the dell page so here.

DELL
Wireless NIC; Truemobile Wireless PCMCIA Nic Card for Inspiron Notebooks
Dell Part#: 430-1303
Manufacturer Part#: 29UYF
In Stock?: Yes

$99.00

***GREAT VALUE - SIGNIFICANT PRICE REDUCTION ON THIS PRODUCT*** With Dell’s NEW 11MB Wireless Solution, you can add notebooks and desktops to your office network quickly and easily, without cables or wires to create a peer-to-peer network. This wireless network interface card has been tested and validated for your Dell Inspiron notebook and is fully supported by Dell Tech Support. This product includes the following parts: NIC, instructions, software and 1 year limited warranty.

Features and Benefits

Highlights:
FreedomGives you the freedom to add new systems without routing new cable.
PerformanceTransfers data at up to 11MB per second. (It can even handle streaming video files!)
FlexibilityLets employees access files quickly while in meetings or away from their desk
DependabilityBased on the 802.11b wireless standard and backed by Dell's technical support.
Give yourself the freedom of mobility through a wireless connection to your home of office network. Just add a wireless base station with your wireless PC card and remove your system from the constraints of wires. Work from anywhere within range of the base station.
This system makes is easy to network between desktops and notebooks without a server in between. It’s a simple way to build a small, efficient network. Just buy a card for each system to allow your users to share files and exchange e-mail.
A quick-start guide and all the hardware drivers are already included. And each piece of hardware includes an interactive setup CD with video clips, an overview of Internet file and printer sharing, FAQs and a glossary.
CompatibilityThis product has been tested and validated on Dell systems to ensure it will work with your computer.
Technical SupportSupported by Dell Technical Support when used with a Dell system.

NEXT
DELL
ss day. Wireless NIC; Bluetooth for Inspiron Notebooks
Dell Part#: 430-1900
Manufacturer Part#: 674XC
In Stock?: Yes

$149.00

***GREAT VALUE - SIGNIFICANT PRICE REDUCTION ON THIS PRODUCT*** This wireless network interface card has been tested and validated for your Dell Inspiron notebook and is fully supported by Dell Tech Support.

Features and Benefits

Highlights:
Small SizeBluetooth does not require much space. In fact, the Bluetooth radio can be built into a small microchip and integrated in any electronic device where wireless operation would be an advantage.
Robust linkBlueooth provides a very robust link. The technology ensures that, under normal circumstances, you will not be bothered by interference from other radio signals operating in the same frequency band. Bluetooth will suffer some degradation from other 2.4 GHZ devices. Other 2.4GHZ devices will have significant degradation from Bluetooth proximity.
Worldwide OperationYou can use Bluetooth anywhere. The radio operates in the 2.45 GHz band, which is license-free and available to any radio system in the world.
RangeThe normal range of the Bluetooth radio is 10 meters.
BandwidthA Blueooth radio link has a maximum data transfer rate of 724 kbit/s, or three voice channels; the data rate for a voice channel is 64 kbit/s.
SecurityTwo advanced security mechanisms ensure a high level of security: Authentication prevents access to critical data and makes it impossible to falsify the origin of a message. Encryption prevents eavesdropping and maintains link privacy.
Low power consumptionThe Bluetooth radio is very economical, limiting its output power exactly to what is actually needed. For instance, when transmitting to a receiving radio that is only a couple of meters away, the radio immediately modifies its signal strength to suit the small distance. Bluetooth consumes only a tiny bit of power that eg. a mobile phone needs.
Unlimited possibilitiesA technology that, like Bluetooth, eliminates the need for cables offers a great number of potential applications. The possibilities are virtually unlimited. Nevertheless, in some areas it is particularly obvious that Bluetooth is an ideal solution.
CompatibilityThis product has been tested and validated on Dell systems to ensure it will work with your computer.
Technical SupportSupported by Dell Technical Support when used with a Dell system.
Usually ships within1 business day.

It looks like the first solution is for an office network where you supply the base station.

crash777

Lurker1: Thanks for the information. However, you missed the point of my post. I didn't say I wanted to go wireless. I am interested in any information about the modem/NIC combo's Dell is using in their laptops.

I am certain I will not use a wireless configuration.

Thanks again.

Max19

Account Disabled
All the options you list are wireless network adapters. If you don't want to connect to a wireless network then you don't want any of those. I don't think a single one is a modem. The laptops probably have built-in modems.

Yes you listed all wireless adaptors

The combo cards are built in on the new laptops and are proprietary to Dell. They have an Ethernet 10/100 adaptor and a standard 56K modem. Makers vary depending on who gets the contract to supply Dell. (It can change quickly.)

crash777

Lurker1 & Max 19: Thanks for all the great info. Do either of you happen to know who is the current contracted supplier of modem/NIC combos?

Thanks again.

Max19

Account Disabled
It doesn't make sense to look for a modem/nic card before you purchase the actual laptop. Nearly all laptops sold today come with built-in modems which would make purchasing a modem/nic combo card a big waste of money. Depending on the laptop, many also come with built-in network cards as well. First pick the laptop that fits your needs. Then if you still need a NIC or a modem or both, you can look at purchasing just what you need.

Hi crash777

Yes the nic/modem combo card is built in and in the Dell latitudes (Which I work on) are not made to be changed out by the normal user the way PCMIA cards are. All you will see is the network port and the modem port on the side of the laptop. I don't know who makes the current one and it really doesn't matter as only the ones made specifically for dell and sold by dell will fit and work correctly. Dell usually sells it's laptops with a one year standard warranty and a three year extended warranty which will cover the card.

The above only applies to the newer laptops, There are some PCMIA cards that will allow you to connect to a network or phone available for some of the sightly older dell laptops. Is this what you are looking for?

Ok here's a PCMCIA card available from dell.

XIRCOM
RealPort Ethernet 10/100+Modem 56 Integrated PC Card (PCMCIA)
RealPort Ethernet 10/100+Modem

$202.95
In stock

The 32-bit RealPort CardBus Ethernet 10/100+Modem 56 combines the highest performance 10/100 Mbps Ethernet, 56K modem, GSM, AMPS cellular, and ISDN connectivity, in a single cable-free Integrated PC Card solution. GlobalACCESS features make it easy to connect to information from any location, anywhere in the world. This power-saving CardBus adapter features BatterySave advanced power management and 3.3-volt operation for longer battery life. The revolutionary RealPort Integrated PC Card family solves the number one problem mobile users experience with PC Cards today - lost, forgotten, or broken cable connectors and broken pop-out jacks. Patented RealPort Integrated PC Cards provide robust and reliable communications by integrating connectors directly into the card. With RealPort Integrated PC Cards, there are no cables and no hassles. Connecting to information in the office or on the road has never been easier.

They also sell Refurbished cards

DELL
Refurbished: Combo Card PCMCIA 56K/10-100bit Latitude/Inspiron
CUS,MDM,56K,10/100,LAN,LATUDE

$249.00
In stock

PCMCIA 56K/10-100bit 3-COM 3CCFEM656 Combo Modem/Lan Card for Inspiron and Latitude notebooks.

Manufacturer Part#
Dell Part# 9313P

You can go to the Dell website and check on other cards that they have.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online