1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop momentarily hanging after amd driver update

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lecutinsideman, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lecutinsideman

lecutinsideman Thread Starter

Hi,

Today I updated my AMD drivers (i.e. AMD Catalyst Control Center) from version 12 to 14.501.1003 in an effort to boost frame rates during gaming. I didn't see any performance boosts, but I didn't rollback to the earlier version. Ever since then, my laptop seems to hang after I close a performance demanding game. The freeze isn't permanent and takes between 30-45 seconds before it goes away, but it's still nonetheless annoying and might be indicative of a greater issue for my computer. In addition, I've found that every time I shut down my computer, after the "Shutting down..." appears the screen simply goes black and does not fully turn off until I manually do it myself with the power button.

I'm not sure if all these problems are stemming from the update itself, but I can't think of anything else I've done that would cause these issues.

Laptop: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
    CPU: AMD A8-3520
    GPU: Radeon HD 6620G + HD 7690M

I don't know what other info is needed, so please reply if anything else is required. Thank you!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the complete model number of that laptop?

A dash and additional characters after dv6 will comprise the complete model number.

Also advise what the part/product number(P/N) on it is.

Also advise how much RAM it has.

-------------------------------------------------------

3. lecutinsideman

I'm not sure about the model number/part number.

I have 6GB of RAM.

Also, I've noticed that now if I take my computer out of sleep or hit ctrl+alt+del sometimes it will hang momentarily too.

I've read somewhere that I may be able to solve this problem by unplugging my laptop and taking the battery out, and then holding the power button down for a few minutes. I'm not sure if that's a safe thing to do, can anyone advise?

4. lecutinsideman

I've also noticed that when it does freeze up, my CPU usage jumps to 99%.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You still haven't answered the most important question.

Taking the battery out is a normal thing, yes it is safe.

6. lecutinsideman

Sorry, here it is:

HP Pavilion dv6-6c40ca Entertainment Notebook PC
    Model: A7G91UA

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. lecutinsideman

I've already done this before. All that happens is that the freezing issue goes away but now I'm absolutely unable to open any games or any applications like Steam, as well as my Windows 7 desktop gadgets not working.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Go to Device Manager and check for any errors, also what driver version is showing in Device Manager for the graphics/GPU?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice