1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Monitor Damaged but .....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sandiejena, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sandiejena

sandiejena Thread Starter

Somehow my laptop received damage last week, I am guessing someone accidentally stepped or sat on it... It will boot up and other than my monitor display showing works of art I think Picasso might be jealous of (LOL) there is a portion in the top corner where I can visibly see that the sign on screen is up. I tried to maneuver my cursor to the sign on part but its impossible. Can the screen be replaced? It is a Dell and I am sure they won't cover it under the warranty. I wanted to get some advice here before I call. And wouldn't you know it, this happened while I was on vacation with all the new photos not to mention other stuff I did not back up somewhere else. I was thinking in the old days I knew some one who had a docking station where they could transfer everything to the desktop at home. Is that possible? And Would a data transfer cable work somehow even though the screen is shot? Please help

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can remove the hard disk and use a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE Adapter to connect it to a desktop machine for recovery of files.

3. sandiejena

thanks so much, do i also need the USB 2.0 to IDE Cable Adapter (for 2.5" and 3.5" IDE) to connect it to the pc? Also curious once its all connected will the notebook's harddrive show up on the desktop pc as a new drive something like when you connect i.e. memory stick?

4. JohnWill

If you use the adapter I specified, it plugs directly into the IDE controller inside the machine. However, an alternative approach is to connect it via USB, which doesn't require opening up the computer. That might be a bit easier. You can usually buy a USB 2.0 external case for a 2.5" drive for $10 or so. For instance, here's one for $7.99 http://www.gogocost.com/xcart/product.php?productid=182&cat=5&page=1

5. HalTrout

HalTrout

Does your laptop have VGA output? If so, hookup a desktop monitor and assuming you have a CDRW drive you could backup your system there.

If you're mechanically inclined there are Dell lcd panels you can get on Ebay and swap it out yourself.

6. sandiejena

yes it does have the vga i totally forgot. So I go that route and it works but now my battery must be bad because it won't charge and won't run w/o it. And of course no one in town has a replacement battery for a dell notebook. So I went to Frye's and got the IDE adapter and the IDE to usb adaptor, pulled out the hard drive from my notebook
    yes I pretty mechanical I already removed the lcd panel hoping that one we had from another broken notebook would work it had the same plug but i beleive that lcd was shot too. I will look at the ones on ebay but I just want to get my stuff of this notebook hdd asap. i figure now if i have to buy a new battery and a new lcd panel i might as well get a new notebook YIKES ok need some more help. I got it all hooked up and it shows up as a F: drive, but some of the folders are showing up empty, and since I was the administrator on that notebook I am assuming the error message I get that denies me access must have something to do with the master/slave drive issue or jumper pins. I see the jumper diagram on the hdd label, which is greek to me...the manufacturer reads "The drive is shipped with no jumper installed (Master)." So what do you all suggest?

7. sandiejena

Even w/o the battery when its plugged into the wall outlet it will turn on and then off like its running off the dead battery. If I take the battery out it won't even turn on. YIKES
    I can't get it to work now with the ide adapter, my pc isn't even recognizing that the usb is plugged in. My PC is in perfect working order so I know its not the usb ports, verified they all work. Went to the dev mgr check the connections when i plugged it in the ide /hdd just doesnt show up. I have exhausted myself with this, please advise

8. JohnWill

9. Striker840

Striker840

I was just going to suggest taking ownership of the files. One way I do it is to boot into safe mode as the root administrator then just give the needed user the rights to the needed folders and files.

10. sandiejena

I was going to do that but now the files won't even show up. The PCis not showing that there is a connection for the IDE-usb connector. This is so wacky. Even like I mentioned before concerning the notebook w/o the battery when its plugged into the wall outlet it will turn on and then off like its running off the dead battery. If I take the battery out it won't even turn on. YIKES
    I can't get it to work now with the ide adapter, my pc isn't even recognizing that the usb is plugged in. My PC is in perfect working order so I know its not the usb ports, verified they all work. Went to the dev mgr check the connections when i plugged it in the ide /hdd just doesnt show up. I have exhausted myself with this, please advise

11. Striker840

Striker840

Have you tried diskmanager to see if it is being recognized there??

I am just about out of suggestions here LOL
    Sometimes I wish I could just get my hands on some of these problems, it can be difficult to diagnose on a msg board. If nothing else, its one hell of a learning tool.

12. sandiejena

Well after trying everything found out that my hard drive is toast-Any suggestions for data recovery servicer that wouldnt cost thousands like I have been told??

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice