Laptop Monitor Fault

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tabvla

Device : Lenovo IdeaPad 3 System : W10 Home

The monitor on this laptop has developed a fault - see attached image

IMG_20210401_180540.jpg

NOTE : The RIGHT side of the screen displays the background image. The LEFT side is the fault. Icons show correctly on extreme LEFT.

Is this a terminal fault that requires a repair by Lenovo or is there some other solution?

T.

Tanis

Shane
That looks pretty terminal, looks like a damaged screen. If I was to guess I would say something has been in it when the lid closed or something put on top of it.

The bit marked below is typical for impact / pressure damage to the screen.

IMG_20210401_180540.jpg

The screen could be replaced but it not always a financially viable option. Its often not that hard to do yourself if you can pickup just the screen somewhere.

Tabvla

Shane, thanks for your reply.

The laptop belongs to my neighbor, a middle-aged, lives on her own, no children or pets, usually very careful with items such as this.

I would be surprised if it was as suggested by your post. I think she would have known and would have told me that. But then again.....???

T.

Tanis

Shane
No problem there are a lot of factors :) The screen is definitely broken so will need to be replaced. The quick check is to connect an external screen, I would expect the display to be fine that way.

Couriant

James
I agree it's definitely the screen. I would suggest to look closely to see if there are any indents. I had someone at work with the same issue. I saw a tiny indent where something was pushed/squashed. It could be a paper clip, or some rock hard speck of something.... it may also just be some kind of stressed area that finally broke within.

Depending on the laptop, it may cost about $200-250 for the monitor.

Tabvla

Shane and James, thank you for your replies.

I have looked at the screen very carefully with a large magnifier and although there is no visible indentation, scratch or anything that I can see, I have regretfully come to the same conclusion. The screen is toast.

My very nice neighbor is going to be devastated, the laptop is only a few months old.

Thanks again.

T.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Tabvla, do you feel comfortable with the disassembly? It may be just the LCD bezel that needs to be removed. Check online for prices for a screen for that make/model, and see if your neighbor is comfortable with that. Don't order anything until you actually find the model/part number on the screen itself, typically on a label on the rear of the LCD.

Depending on the model, the screen may be available inexpensively.

Tabvla

Thanks for the advice Mark. I will have a word with her tomorrow and see how she feels about that. I will post back when I have some clarity on how she wants to proceed.

T.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
No problem! It's really not difficult if you've got a little mechanical aptitude. Keep us posted.

Couriant

James
If it's new, then the warranty should cover it since there is no physical damage to the machine.

Tanis

Shane
If it's new, then the warranty should cover it since there is no physical damage to the machine.
Agreed, if there is no sign of any physical damage then this is the route I would take first of all. Worst case is a bit bit of postage costs and they say they wont cover it.

These may not be the exact model, but should give you a good idea

(112) How to Fix - Replace the LCD Screen on a Lenovo Laptop Computer - YouTube

Buy 11.6" Ibm Lenovo Ideapad 3 Cb 11igl05 82ba0000us Laptop Lcd Screen Replacement £44.95 - 1366X768 (HD) (laptop-lcd-screen.co.uk)

Tabvla

Thank you Mark, Shane and James for your feedback and suggestions.

My neighbor is totally non-techy, therefore, based on your comments, I will log a support call with Lenovo on her behalf, send them a screenshot and wait for a response. Could be interesting....

T.

Couriant

James
Best case, they will repair it... worse case they claim she did it (though no physical damage is shown) so really hopefully you can be real convincing :D hope to hear the result of that call/online chat

Tabvla

Do you think it would be a good idea to ask Rudy to plead her case for her..... he seems to be winning most of his lawsuits recently....o_O...

T.

Tabvla

As expected, Lenovo replied that it was the user that had broken the screen. I have dealt with Lenovo over many years and have always found Lenovo Support to be among the best out there. I was therefore disappointed in their reply which was unhelpful.

I requested an estimate (not a fixed quote, just an estimate) of the cost of repair, but Lenovo refused to provide this and replied that they could only provide an estimate once they had physically seen the damage. That seems to me to be just bordering on ridiculous. This is a Lenovo machine that needs the screen replaced, a job which they must have done many hundreds of times; to say that they cannot provide an estimate of cost to repair is at best most unhelpful, at worst just very poor customer relations.

By contrast I went to the local computer shop, provided the owner with make, model and a photo of the damaged screen and within 10 minutes he provided me with a price and that if I brought the machine in that afternoon I could have it back, repaired the following morning. That is service.

The machine was expertly repaired and is working perfectly again and my neighbor is smiling again as she reconnects to the outside world.

Come on Lenovo...... your Support can (and usually do) much better than that. Try harder.

T.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online