1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop monitor issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by novicem, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novicem

novicem Thread Starter

Hi,

I have an issue with HP Pavilion Dv9000 laptop monitor. I need your expertise in diagnosing the issue so I can attempt to fix it.

It started one day when I connected the laptop to my tv via hdmi cable, which I had done several times previously, all of a sudden the display disappeared. I re-booted and still nothing. I connected to an external monitor and managed to see it booting, however even the display on the external monitor disappeared when it was about to load windows, very strange. (I'm using Vista btw, don't think it matters). So, I was able to boot into safe mode using external monitor and messed around there with display settings and system restores and then got display working on laptop for initial boot options up to point where it launched windows. Eventually, I got it back 100% again.

This happened about 2 weeks ago and I thought all was ok, but then it started happening more frequently purely random. Same symptoms as above, had to boot into safe using external monitor, could see initial boot\bios options on laptop sometimes, then disappear. Screen would never go when I had it working, would only not work if I re-booted or if I turned on first thing in the morning, could do several re-boots in the day, sometimes I could see display on laptop monitor, sometimes not without changing anything

Eventually got very fed up and re-installed Vista prob knowing that it wouldn't make a difference, it didn't it made things worse, can't see display on laptop monitor at any stage now, but can on external monitor with no difficulty.

Sorry for long winding post, but just wanted to paint a picture so you could diagnose what issue is. For me, I would think\hope it's the bulb that lights the monitor that's blown, but is that the symptoms that it goes over period of time, not like an ordinary bulb that just goes. I don't think it's inverter because I would see faint picture on monitor if it was inverter, I don't see anything it's pure black.

Or, is it something completely different - with my initial symptoms I could not even see a display on external monitor when it tried to launch windows, it showed initial bios screens and I would have to boot into safe mode to see it even on external monitor.

Please help, HP chat were useless

2. oksteve

oksteve

3. squall_01

squall_01

You know that there is usually with a set of keys that you have to press. Like I have to have crtl plus a F key to use S-video an have it come up on the TV.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920113

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice