1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Monitor Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mistersuperduper, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mistersuperduper

mistersuperduper Thread Starter

Hey guys, I'm currently using an Acer Aspire One d250 netbook. I was lying down watching a show while it slightly tipped and hit its monitor on the side of my bed post, it wasn't a hard hit. Immediately the screen went blank. Now the issue isn't the black screen (which seems to be an issue with this netbook) but rather the display works but it's incredibly dark. It's at the point where I need to tilt it directly into the light to even see where the mouse is moving. I downloaded BIOS and tried to reinstall it but it's still the same way. My question is simply what is the issue? Are there loose wires or something and is this an easy fix? Cheers.

2. lewmur

lewmur

When you hit it, you broke the backlight. This is fluorescent tube that is about the thickness of spaghetti that lights the back of the screen. They don't cost much but are very difficult to change. A computer shop will probably charge you about $70 to fix it.

3. mistersuperduper

Oh my, that's terrbile. Well, I paid 80 bucks for the netbook so it's not worth my fix. Any chance I can fix it myself with online parts? I read online that I just need a new inverter? I'm pretty decent at basic computer stuff (I melded some wires in my old laptop's video card before). Cheers dude.

4. lewmur

lewmur

I doubt seriously if it's the inverter. That wouldn't be damaged by a knock but the fragile light tube would. As I said, the tube itself is inexpensive. Less than $10 on eBay. If you have very steady hands and jewelers screwdrivers, you can fix it yourself. Just be very careful in handling the new bulb. They are VERY delicate!

5. mistersuperduper

I understand, I suppose I'll just sell the netbook as-is on ebay and buy a new one :p cheers dude, thanks alot

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/955474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice