1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop monitor screen 25% missing??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joyof60, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

I have a HP Pavilion QV5000 series laptop with XP home SP3 running. about 7 years old but still a somewhat sturdy machine. Recently (unknown as to what happened before this started as it is located in the living room and my kids use it when they grace mom and dad with their preasance) when I boot the machine the monitor display covers only 75% of my screen. 15" wide screen. Sometimes if I continued to reboot it would eventually display properly across the entire screen. Lately it is taken more and more reboots and now I can hardly get it to go beyond the 75% screen at all. The far right hand side of the screen stays blank (black) from top to bottom. I have tried to adjust the display settings to no avail. There is an option for a single monitor or a dual display in the settings and I have tried to reset this to a Single monitor as it seems to go to dual display by default, I have clicked the 'apply' tab after selection, (just in case I get that suggestion) but nothing really seems to change. No bugs seem to be present as AV, spyware and anti malware all come up empty. Also at the bottom of the 75% (and wthin the 75% display I do have a complete page like its just not widescreen.) the display begins again for the top row of data. as in from my desktop the top row of icons appear again beneath the bottom taskbar. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is it just to old and need to go? Thanks in advance so much! (also the 80GB HDD only shows to be 60GB, don't know if that is related or not) You guys are the BEST!!

2. bp936

bp936

you said, you checked the display properties? Did you try to change the screen resolution? Some programs alter it, I had to eventually delete the program that change the resolution and made my screen smaller.
    What did the kids use computer for, that might give you some better ideas.

3. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, the resolution hasn't changed and I'm not sure of any new programs that are running but the screen size dosn't change from one program to another. The machine seems to work ok except for the the odd display. The kids? well the youngest male (23y/o) calls it surfing for job opportunities but I think its mostly face book and games, the others I think just check their e-mails. besides that I'm not really sure. I do try to clean it up somewhat regularly with AV, spyware and malware programs.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/896820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice