1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop needs mobo to be changed. How can I change it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Grave_Digger, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grave_Digger

Grave_Digger Thread Starter

I have to change the mobo because the interface for the charger gives off smoke. I tried a different power cord and same thing smoke would go off. Its a hp laptop. Now if i can find the mobo and switch it out, how difficult is it? And i want to keep the hdd data. How do i keep that data once i plug the hdd to the new mobo?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You look up the make and model number for the motherboard in that HP and either get one from HP or somewhere else like Ebay. You will need the workshop manual for your model from HP -- download as a PDF.
    If the motherboard is identical to the one you have, and you have fitted it correctly, the disk should just work as before.

It is not difficult if you follow the manual and take care not to force things, but you do need to be patient and mechanical skill is a good idea.. You should make a paper/card template for the screws and bits as you take them apart.

3. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    You can often find YouTube videos of laptop disassembly for various models. Failing that, there are many reputable sites that show step-by-step disassembly.

As Dave indicated, be sure the right screws go back in the right holes. There are often 2-3 different sizes, usually differing in length. A screw that is too long in the wrong place can cause untold problems, as can one that is too short!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1115444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice