laptop-new HD -help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

saturndrop

OK
so my HP Omnibook 6000, I just bought the Fujitsu MHT-AH MHT2040AH 40GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache Notebook Hard Drive - OEM. THis is a generic HD that i was told was compatible with my HP laptop.

Ive installed it but...
1- screen doesnt turn on, the light on the laptop that shows if the screen is on doesnt light up (only for a second when i turn the computer on)

2- The laptop isnt asccessing the HD... the light on the base that refers to the HD doesnt light up either.

Ive tried re-istalling it but nothing--
SOme one said something about checking the BIOS, Im not sure what that is and how can I acces it when theres nothing on the screen.

PLease help me, If you dont know how to fix it at least tell me whats wrong, Cause I am so lost and dont what is wrong :sayno:

Thanks so much!!

and thanks to msgtgumby for all the help before

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, I'd consider the possibility that either you have it installed incorrectly, or the drive is defective. Who told you this drive was compatible with the laptop?

JohnWill said:
Well, I'd consider the possibility that either you have it installed incorrectly, or the drive is defective. Who told you this drive was compatible with the laptop?
Along that line of thinking, I friggin spent two hours trying to figure out why I couldn't get a hard drive to work and it turned out to be defective! :rolleyes:

What I would do is get an IDE adapter (CompUSA has them for $8) and connect it to a desktop IDE cable as a slave and see if you have any trouble accessing the drive. You can format it there as well to make sure it works.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I keep several 2.5" to 3.5" adapters around for this kind of use. :)

JohnWill said:
I keep several 2.5" to 3.5" adapters around for this kind of use. :)
Yes--well that wouldn't have helped me because I had a SATA drive and no other machine with SATA connections to check the drive out on! I finally figured it had to be defective (I was trying to install as a second drive, so I put it and tried to install Windows on it and couldn't get it to work)--I bagged it up, sent it back to NewEgg, got the replacement, plugged in and it was recognized immediately! :rolleyes:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well Mulder, that SATA drive wasn't a 2.5" drive anyway, right? :)

Heh, sorry I couldn't figure it out. The light not coming on means it's not even trying to detect a hard drive. When your old one went bad maybe it took out the connector too? Anyway, good luck, hopefully someone will be able to help you more :)

And John, the drive is compatable, that drive pretty much runs with any laptop.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
That would depend on the age of the laptop, and the specific capabilities of the BIOS. I've run across laptops that weren't that old that still had the 32gig limitation in the BIOS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts