1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Not Booting - Goes to Black Screen With Underscore

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by quesera, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quesera

quesera Thread Starter

Hello everyone! I've found several topics on the forums regarding issues similiar to mine, however their solutions either didn't work for me or were a little too confusing to follow. So here's to hoping that this can be resolved!

Earlier, I was using my HP laptop with Windows Vista when the computer suddenly froze, then abruptly shut off. When I tried to reboot, everything seemed normal at first (albeit much, much slower), until about ten minutes in when the screen went black. The only thing visible was a strobing white underscore in the upper left corner.

Needless to say, the situation hasn't changed. If I press ctrl + alt + delete, the computer restarts. It will not allow me to access F8 (to boot it in safe mode), however it will let me adjust the boot priorities. I've tried booting it with the hard drive being first on the list (which wasn't the default setting) with no luck.

I've also tried removing the battery and holding the power button, letting it "cool down" for a couple of hours before rebooting again, and letting it stay on the black screen to see if something would change.

I'm really worried that it has something to do with the HD, as I forgot to backup my most recent files. Is there any way to verify this? Would there be some kind of strange noise coming from the computer, or any other indicator? I've never had a HD fail on me (knock on wood), so I honestly don't know what to expect. Could it be something like the motherboard, instead?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really have no idea where to go from here. Thank you in advance for your time!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/962978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice