1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop, not booting to windows. Black Screen.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Saberwing_Ca, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saberwing_Ca

Saberwing_Ca Thread Starter

Hey all, I have an old Toshiba A30 Laptop.

What works: Bios and boot selection.

When I turn it on it goes past the Toshiba screen then goes black and does not continue to the windows load screen. Now...if I go into boot selection and select the hard drive (which I did try changing to boot #1) it gives me a SMART failure replace and backup data error and then lets me continue and boot to windows fine. Same if I do a boot to Cd-Rom, it will boot the cdrom then boot to the hard drive after. I've looked through the bios many times and cant find anything...theres very limited options, cant even turn off SMART.

I have been attempting to repair bad sectors on the hard drive when Hiren's Boot CD. It usually locks up. Is there anything I can do to get the Hard Drive to boot correctly or should I be replacing the hard drive?

Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/791247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice