1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Not Charging Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ogilberry, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ogilberry

ogilberry Thread Starter

I have a HP ProBook 4540s, and recently it had difficulty charging. When plugged in a "the hp smart adapter is not functioning correctly" message appears. After a bit of fiddling with the cord at the port it would begin to charge , but despite any fiddling while it was charging , it would continue to charge. Recently it has stopped charging altogether. I shut down with 10% left but now it will not start up at all. I did a hard reset which didn't solve it, and tried starting plugged in without the battery which didnt work. When I plug the charger in now a blue light flashes about 8 or 9 times then disappears, and when I press the power button the light flashes Orange 8 times.

I doubt it is a problem with the charger because it is only a couple months old but rather the charging port, or maybe something else. I am reluctant to disassemble my laptop just to get to the port to reconnect a loose wire if that is the case because I am inexperienced with that, plus I do not have a solder. I am hoping this is not the problem because it will be expensive to repair. Is there anything I can do myself ?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. ogilberry

ogilberry Thread Starter

I tried the battery stuff without success, I can't do anything with the bios because it won't start up and I'm confident this isn't the problem because I haven't updated my bios.

I went ahead and disassembled everything to get to the dc Jack, but all of the connections look good. I even reseated the RAM as well because I heard that that is sometimes a problem with booting. I plugged the charger into it while it was steal connected to the motherboard with the power button disconnected and battery out and everything , and it flashed white/blue once and orange once. I take it this means it still isn't charging , so the only other thing I can think of is that it is in fact the charger :eek: unless there's something else I'm missing ? Should I replace the dc Jack to be sure?

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    There may be a small centre pin in the charger's plug, if so and it gets bent or broken the laptop may not recognise the charger. I can't be sure about this but see if there's a hole for one in the power socket.

5. ogilberry

ogilberry Thread Starter

Yea it's one of those kinds of chargers , the pin looks straight and fine though

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    If nothing else has helped all I can suggest is to fit another power port, the present one may be worn and loose inside. Ebay should have some.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice