1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop not picking up Linksys signal

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Wchternymom, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wchternymom

Wchternymom Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I just found this board & hope someone can help.

I basically know nothing about wireless networks & just set up a linksys router on my desktop last week. I have no problem connecting my desktop to the internet through the router.

I am trying to get my daughter's new laptop to receive the internet signal from my Linksys broadband firewall router (BEFSX41). I have no problem getting on line using my Dell desktop (router attached to cable modem), but her new laptop does not pick up the signal.

She has a Toshiba laptop which is already set up for the wireless network at her high school. She has no problem getting online at school. The tech man at her school said the laptop should pick up our home signal automatically, but it does not. The laptop has a switch in the front to turn the wireless card on or off.

When she logs on at home, a Novell Client for Windows screen appears.
    After entering the password, another screen appears that says, "The Tree or Server cannot be found. Choose a different tree or server. Select workstation only to log in to local workstation." This screen appears at home when the wireless card is on or off. This screen does not appear when she is at school.

When I checked her network connections at home under 'control panel', a local area network and a wireless connection appear....both state they are disabled.

I have no clue what to do...any advice? Thanks.

2. tronh

tronh

yeah... put her in a school that doesn't use Novell.... :D

sorry, couldn't resist.

You need to "login to workstation only" to log into Windows (XP??) after it complains about not finding the Novell network. Her Windows user login will need to have administrator privileges, or she will need to login as administrator. Is this her personal machine or is it school-issued?

Once she is logged into Windows (assuming XP), and Windows detects the wireless network, you can tell Windows to connect to that network just like you did on your laptop.

3. Wchternymom

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. We had to purchase the computer through the school. So, it is a personal computer, but it is configured to work on the school network.

Windows still does not detect the wireless network when I log in to the local workstation. I did find a connectivity doctor which tell me to check the setting to be sure that the network name (SSID) and network key (WEP) are used for the access point. They are case sensitive (a-14).

They also suggested I check for Bridged settings & disable or reconfigure them. (a-15)

How do I check for this? Thanks again.

4. Wchternymom

Do you think my cordless telephone could be interferring with the router frequency.

A friend just told me she had this problem.

5. tronh

tronh

XP Pro, XP Home, or 2000? And yes, a 2.4Ghz wireless phone can block the signal, but only if it is in use and on the same channel. Most phones, you can't specify a channel -- some, you can switch channels. 900 Mhz phones are no problem.

if XP Pro, go to Network Connections, right click on the Wireless Network Connection,, choose View Available Wireless Networks. Do you see your router listed? If you do, it should tell you if the wireless network requires a key (WEP) and prompt you to put it in. This would be the same key you put in when you set up your router IF you enabled WEP when you set it up. It may be enabled by default. You should use WEP to keep your neighbors off.

If you don't see the network in View Available Wireless Networks, then the router is probably not configured to broadcast it's SSID. When you go into the router configureation, there should be a page of basic settings. What are they?

6. Wchternymom

Thanks again for your replies Trohn.

Running Windows XP Home edition on my desktop & Windows XP pro on the laptop:

When I check my network connections (on desktop) two are displayed:

Intel (R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection (I don't know what this is)
    and
    Motorolla Surfboard USB Cable (which is my cable modem)

Both indicate they are connected. I did note that if I disable the cable network connection the router connection still works.

When I check the router setup page, I don't see anything about about WEP or SSID (I have no idea what WEP & SSID are). When I set up the router, I had a cd, & all I had to do with plug in the cables & press enter. The computer configured the router. I didn't have to type anything, just pressed enter.

Here's what's on the router setup page:

Internet connection type: Obtain IP automatically
    Host Name: (XXXXXX)
    Domain Name: (this space is blank)
    MTU: disable

Local IP address: (Listed)
    Subnet Mask: (listed)

Local DHCP server: enable
    Start IP address: (listed)
    # of addresses: 50
    DHCP address range: (listed)
    Client lease time: 0
    DSN 1:0
    DSN2:0
    DSN3:0
    WINS: 0

Time zone: eastern
    DEfault NTP server (checked)

Thanks again.....when my daughter gets home from school, I'll unplug that cordless phone & see it that works. It is right next to the computer & router.

7. tronh

tronh

ok.....

Intel PRO/100 VE is your desktop computer's Ehternet network adapter, which probably has nothing plugged into it (status should say media or cable unplugged).

Motorola Surboard USB cable modem -- the desktop's connection to the cable system internet connection..... which leads to an important question... how is your Linksys wireless router connected to the internet?? The Surfboard has both a USB and Ethernet connection, but typically only 1 can be used at a time. If you were using the Ethernet connection on the surfboard, you could hook it up to the Linksys (which has a built-in hub? several Ethernet RJ-45 ports?)...

You said if you disable the cable connection, the router connection still works.. IS the router connected to your Ethernet port? I guess it would have to be if you are able to access the configuration page on the router :)

So it would appear you are accesing the internet via the USB cable modem and the router via Ehthernet. Before the router (and the wireless network) can see the Internet, you will need to disconnect the USB connection to the cable modem and connect it to the router via Ethernet.

You said you did not see WEP or SSID on the router -- this is a wireless router, yes?? There should be a configuration page for the wireless network. SSID is the wireless network name; WEP is a security protocol whereby you can encrypt the data traffic between the computer and the wireless network, and keep unauthorized users (like your next door neighbor) from connecting wirelessly to your internet service.

On the

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    nothing silly - like not switched on - some laptops have a switch to switch wireless on.

you said it shows as diabled - if you right click proerties and you should find somewhere inthere to enable

this is a program which will detect wireless signals and supply info - may find it useful

Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

9. Wchternymom

OK....I did say I know nothing about wireless networks, right? Well, I went to Best Buy last week & told the employee I wanted a wireless router with a firewall so my daughter's laptop can run through my cable connection.

He gave me the Linksys box & I was on my well......Well, I am totally embarrassed to say that the router I had was NOT wireless! It was wired! I did not even know there was such a thing as a wired router.

Well, after my kids had a good laugh at me trying to get the laptop to work on this router for a week, I returned it this afternoon, & now I officially have a Linksys wireless G router that is working.

The laptop picks up the signal (excellent signal), however, Internet Explorer does not open up to the internet. Also, how do I program the router to keep the neighbors out? I did program for WEP. Is this preventing my daughter's laptop IE from working? Is this all I have to do?

If you can solve this for me, I will be forever grateful. Thank you for all your time & responses.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    :) :) dont you hate it when that happens - i remember when my son was six - showing how to do something on a PC ... oh dear...

ok lets see if we can help out here.

can you give the model of the wireless router
    the laptop we know about - and it picks up the signal.

does the laptop have a firewall - this may prevent you getting out on IE.
    have a look at the internet settings

so from IE - tools, internet options - connection tab
    have a look at the settings for LAN.
    this may have some settings to work at college

dont worry about wep codes etc - get the thing working first then you can add secruity after.

if you do a seach on google for - how to set up a wireless network
    or - wireless network tutorial
    this will go through the settigns - i'll see what i can find a post back

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice