Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laptop not Powering

277 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  SpywareDr 
#1 ·
So I have alienware 17 it's 4yrs old but its charger is few weeks old they have right power stats for each other and it's all been fine till this mornin, my laptop's battery after 2yrs of nothing started charging again. I thought it odd but didn't worry but now the laptop is acting like the power cord is not there and keeps turning off. I tried my spare power cord and same thing happens. So I run bios it identifies detecting the power cord but when in bios it's using power from the cord but if I load laptop all the way it shuts down from lack of power again. Can someone help I can't afford new laptop

#2 ·
Oftentimes, the electrical contacts for the port where the power cord plugs into the laptop start cracking/get broken loose from the motherboard. Sometimes, if it's not too bad, you can move the cord into just the right position and it will work fine, until you accidentally wiggle the cord and it shuts off. :(

The way to fix this is time consuming but doable. I've done it a number of times. Usually you have to almost completely disassemble the laptop to get the motherboard out of the case ... because you need access to both sides of the motherboard. Next remove (de-solder) and replace (re-solder) the broken power socket with a new one ... carefully of course. Now you can reassemble the laptop and test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.