1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop not recognizing mouse plugged into usb port after hd switch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Morningshadow, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morningshadow

Morningshadow Thread Starter

I was having trouble with my pavilion burning up hard drives so I purchased a new one rather than replacing it with the same one HP always done. I purchased the hard drive from Best Buy and they installed it into my laptop. I then loaded the OS and applications and drivers using the original recovery disks provided by HP. After that I updated windows XP until all the updates were completed.
    My problem is that the computer doesn't recognize usb mouses. I tried using my Razer Diamondback and it wouldn't recognize the hardware. After using the driver install disc provided with the mouse it still wouldn't work. I also attempted to download the lastest drivers directly from the website and that wouldn't work. I've had two other people who are much more computer literate than myself look at the computer and they couldn't figure out the problem either. It appears that it is only a problem with mice. I tried another mouse and it didn't work either. Also it recognized other usb 2.0 equipment just not mice. My friend also said that with the current XP installation service pack 2 it should automatically recognize most usb devices even with the driver disks. Any help into what could be causing this problem would be appreciated.

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Hi friend....

The most likely to happen in your case is that while repairing your system they reseted CMOS/BIOS or they updated it (it usually resets itself to defaults after update). In BIOS there is an option for usb keyboard and mouse support. Since you have a laptop this option could be by default disabled. Hopefully, getting into BIOS and enabling usb mouse support will do the job! This option is more likely to be found in the "integrated peripherals" section of your BIOS setup. Then exit and save. Usually to access BIOS you have to press DEL during the POST/startup screen. You may have came across the message "Press DEL to enter setup". I cannot know many details since BIOSes have differences between computers especially laptops. Of course go ahead on asking questions if you want me to be more specific on something.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice