1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop not showing display through hdmi

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thedext2, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedext2

thedext2 Thread Starter

Hey guys recently I messed up my screen on my computer and got a monitor to be able to keep using the laptop. It worked fine for a month and last night I got done gaming turned off the laptop, came back to it today after work and noticed that it kept saying HDMI signal couldn't be found I thought oh let me restart it went to hard reset and it instantly turned off when I hit the power button (usually takes around 5 to 10 seconds of holding) it kept not doing anything not showing anything I went to close the actual laptop and it didn't recognize that it was closed and just kept running. This all happened over night I don't know what happened to it but does anyone have a fix?

2. AmateurJohn

AmateurJohn

First Name:
    AmateurJohn
    Try:
    1. Type "display" into windows search bar(bottom left of screen) and then choose "Change Display Settings"
    2. There should be basic information about your displays
    3. Go to "Multiple Displays" section and click detect
    4. If that doesnt work click "Advanced Display Settings" to see if it is there at all
    Also try:
    1. go to your desktop screen, then right click on a blank spot and select your graphics settings(should say some thing like Intel Graphics)
    2. click the display section
    3. and make sure you have the screen you want as your main
    4. look for something like "mulitple displays", and there will be different display modes (clone, single display, etc)
    5. make sure ur settings are to where u want thm
    if it still dont work maybe try a different cable? if that doesnt work....someone else will have to help lol

3. lynx1021

lynx1021

Some laptops have an external monitor key combination to turn it on or off.
    Please provide as much detail about your computer as possible.
    Need to know the, Operating system, motherboard , is it a manufactured computer (like dell) or custom build ; ie exact MB, exact CPU, exact GPU, Monitor cable, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc. Do not post 16gig of ram; post the exact brand and mode/part# do that for ALL of your parts

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice