Laptop not starting up

jam44

I have a laptop (Asus X555D) that won't start up properly. When I do turn it on the fan spins and the optical drive consistently revs up and down like it wants to find something there. That's it, from what I can tell the HDD is not turning on, the display gives me nothing and when I force eject the optical and pull it open; both the 'lightbulb' and 'battery' lights come on and stay on until I close it again. Any ideas?

I have tried removing the battery and it does the exact same thing.

plodr

Liz
Go into the BIOS and move the CD/DVD drive down so it is not the first boot device. Put the hard drive as the first boot device. Exit the BIOS saving your changes.
What happens?

jam44

This won't work because I can't even get as far as BIOS. I get absolutely nothing from the display.

plodr

Liz
If you never see anything on the screen, then your video chip has failed. In a laptop, there is no easy fix for this, sorry.

jam44

What would be the fix for it? New video card or is it a whole new motherboard because it's probably onboard right?
Also is there any way to hook something external up to it to be sure or is it likely toast?

plodr

Liz
I'd try and hook up an external monitor to be positive it was the video chip. You might have to press the Function key and 5 or 6 to toggle between internal, display, external display or both.
If nothing ever shows, then yes the video chip is toast.

As far as replacing the motherboard, that might be more expensive than getting a new laptop.
Here's one
https://www.ebay.com/i/282567053894?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28
it might not be an exact match for yours but you could use it and keep yours for spare parts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online