Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laptop Not Supporting Supplied Recovery Discs

975 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  etaf 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have a bit of a problem on my hands. I am running a HP Pavillion Laptop DV6000 Serires w/ Windows Vista and I recently have attempted to use recovery disks that came with my laptop when I bought it from Circuit City and everytime I insert the disks in (which contains my drivers, Microsoft Office etc....) It states that the PC is not supporting the recovery disk function. But I have used these disks before and they have worked fine. But now they are not working and I am wondering why? Setting maybe. I am unsure.

Help

Thanks In Advance

O.D.C.

#3 ·
My apologies, that may have been helpful if I included that in the original post. For some reason my laptop lost all of my drivers (like for my wireless i-net card, my microsoft office 2007 etc) and seeing as I currently am a student and unable to type up any papers or review info for my classes. But all of that is on the disccs themselves but the laptop says its not supported. But again have used them before.

#4 ·
windows Vista
Office 2007

are different

You would have a recovery set of Discs for vista to take the machineback to factory condition, including drivers etc

and an office 2007 CD that will install office onto the PC

Do you need to put a disk called system in first - I have seen this,that putting the 1st recovery CD does not work, it needs the system disk and then will ask for recovery CD 1
that may be the case ???? may not

#5 ·
Oh yeah I know the difference.. When I bought the laptop it all came already on the machine. The discs have all that on it and all that I have now is the upgrade to vista and 2 recovery discs but when i put it in the laptop acts as if its going to start the recovery process but then it states that the computer does not support recovery discs and that I cannot continue. Which is were I am confused. Any ideas

Thanks

#6 ·
OK - it may be you have a partition HP usually assign as D: drive on the PC which will recovery

Are you sure you have the CD device as the first boot CD ? - set in the bios to boot CD first
OR
you may get to boot any CD hit any key

The office 2007 is usually Just a limited demo version for 90days I think on HP machines - so you may not have office 2007, as a student you can purchase office 2007 quite cheaply software4students

#8 ·
Ok, So the discs are set to read first. As far as Office I actually purchased it as part of the computer package and I know that it is more than a demo version bc I have had the laptop as well as Microsoft Office 2007 for well over a year now. So here is the latest senario - I insert the discs it attempts to load them (once I reboot the laptop and it gives me the same error message that it does not support recovery discs. So I tried another way and inserted the disc with the computer on. all it does is open up the window to explore the files on the disc and I cannot determine which one to even click on.

Again thanks for all the help thus far

any additional suggestions

#10 ·
As far as Office I actually purchased it as part of the computer package and I know that it is more than a demo version bc
OK - Did you get a disc, or a download - and have you copied that onto a CD
you may not have office on the recovery CDs - not normally

i have read in another forum,that some HP CDs can only be used once, which I'm not sure is the case
The bios has changed
The HDD has additional partitions

I would suggest download, create a CD from the ISO and run from CD UBUNTU http://www.ubuntu.com/
That will at least prove the machine is working correctly and with the CD

Then you may need to use Fdisk to remove all the partitions

Also the HP may have a hidden partition which you can invoke from a program on the PC - HP recovery manager
OR
Hit F10 or F11 as the machine boots to run the recovery manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.