1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop not turning on? Help?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rachet, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rachet

rachet Thread Starter

I have a laptop here. Its a HP Paviliondv4000.

Its specs are Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.13 Ghz 2.13 GHz, 2.00 GB Ram.
    Its running XP Professional.

This is my friends laptop. and she hasn't used it in a while due to viruses or something like that. Now its not turning on. I was able to turn it on once in safe mode but it was still running slow. Any idea how I could turn it on? the screen is just blank.... and the lights are on. =[ Ive been charging it for about 4 hours now. and nothing.. =[

2. WhiskeyJoe

WhiskeyJoe

When you hit the power button- and the lights on the computer turn on, does the screen display the normal startup process, and get stuck when it tries to load into the operating system?
    Or does absolutely nothing happen on the screen when you hit the power button, with the exception for the one time you got into safe mode.

If it is the first scenario, it is likely a software problem, which means you can go back into safe mode again, and use system restore to fix the problem.

If it is the second scenario, it is likely a hardware problem. Either the display isnt connected to the computer (internally, yes, i know its a laptop), or the computer isnt sending the display any information.

Let me know which one it is, or if it is a third option I didn't think of.

3. rachet

rachet Thread Starter

I think its the second secnario. becuase i was pressing down hard next to the mousepad and the scren turned on and everything began to work. as in when i turn the laptop on nothing turns on and if i wait 5mins then press down hard on the actual buttom part where the mouse pad is it the screen turns on. and it runs normal.. it lags only a few times and when i pres down hard agian it runs smooth.

must be a hardware problem.. =[

4. CoolGuy1943

CoolGuy1943

If you still have your warranty for the laptop then why not go to HP to get it fixed, but if your warranty is missing or used, maybe try going to a shop, but if you have your warranty, try going to HP, you never know what those shops may do....

5. WhiskeyJoe

WhiskeyJoe

Okay, then at this point, the best option would be to call up HP, to determine if it is still under warranty. If it is, they may have you mail the laptop to them, perform repairs on it, and then mail it back.

If they tell you it isn't under warranty, then I would suggest taking it to a computer repair shop like geek squad.

If you're feeling adventurous and want to try fixing it yourself, then the best things to do would be to:

-Reset the CMOS memory. You do this by hitting the clear cmos button somewhere on the motherboard- or by removing a jumper and placing it on two other pins (see your computer's manual for specific location)

-Ensure all the cabling between the parts is secure

-Attempt to replace specific hardware pieces one at a time to use process of elimination to determine which one is the problem. I would try swapping in a graphics card first as it sounds like this could be a display issue.

6. rachet

rachet Thread Starter

Yea the warranty is gone and i dont think my friend would bother with taking it to the shop. I feel a bit adventurous so i'll gave it a go see if any parts are loose. I built my own computer so i might have an idea on whats happening even though its a laptop =]

7. stormyonell

stormyonell

Whith most laptops you can remove the keyboard and easily see the cable between the display and the motherboard. Check that is is secure on both ends. I have seen that come loose many times. Hopefully that's it, it is an easy fix! Good luck.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/838081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice