1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop not turning on.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by forris, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. forris

forris Thread Starter

Hi. My Fujitsu Seimens Amilo Li 1718 laptop will not turn on. I have confirmed that the psu is fine, and there is no short on the power connector on the laptop. The battery has been dead for ages, we always run it from the mains.

There are no lights on the led panel.

I have tried the standard fix - unplug, hold power button for 30 sec, plug back in - this doesn't work for me.

I have made sure that there is not a build-up of dust around the fan and heatpipe assembly.

The power switch still feels ok - it makes a slight click when pressed.

I was wondering if there is anything else that I could try before I open it up to check the motherboard, or take it to the repair shop.

Thanks for reading.

2. Netghost56

Netghost56

Battery has been dead for ages.....do you still keep the battery connected? Or are running it from the mains with the battery removed??

Has it been dropped recently? Anything spilled on it? New programs/drivers installed?

3. forris

forris Thread Starter

We have been running with the battery still in place, but even removing it doesn't make a difference.

It hasn't been dropped or anything - just went to switch it on (it had been on earlier in the day) and it doesn't want to play.

I forgot to put in my first post - The screw at the bottom left corner of the screen has pulled through the plastic of the bezel, which leaves a small gap between the the front bezel and the rear screen casing. Not sure whether this has any bearing or not.

4. Netghost56

Netghost56

If you have a multimeter I would check to see if you are getting a reading from the adapter, and if its the correct voltage per what is written on the unit.

Either the adapter has failed or your power card on the motherboard could have failed.

Adapters are inexpensive to replace - just make sure the replacement is "genuine".

5. forris

forris Thread Starter

Thanks. I have already checked the psu, and the voltage is correct. I suspect that there may be a problem with the connection between the power socket and the motherboard, but wanted to make sure that I'd tried every other option before opening the laptop up.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice