1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop not turning on

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Yoloswag5643, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yoloswag5643

Yoloswag5643 Thread Starter

Every time I turn on my laptop there’s just a black screen and the mute button blinking, please help. My caps lock was blinking before but now it’s just my mute button

2. Coco767

Coco767

Was it working fine before this screen-wise or did it have issues with the screen before this?

How old is the laptop? Has it fell or been shocked in any way before this issue? When did this issue start?

3. TheFonzz

TheFonzz

I had a similar problem with my older laptop. The issue in my case was a bad screen cable. You can get one of those off of ebay it costs about 4 to 7 € if i remember correctly and than you disassemble sadly the monitor as well as the bottom case and replace that cable and it works. Now i am not saying it is the same problem as you have but it is damn similar. One way you can test if what i am saying is true is that you connect your laptop to an external monitor and if that works i can 100% guarantee you that the cause is either bad cable that goes to the screen panel or the panel itself.

By the way if the monitor is not the issue are you able to enter the bios? If you do not know how write your laptop model on google and at the end write bios key (for example Lenovo y560 bios key) I bet you ll find which key is to enter bios. Usually it is either F2, F12, or delete. Start your laptop and keep pressing the button until in bios and see if there are any strange going on's there.

4. Yoloswag5643

I’ve tried connecting it to another monitor but nothing showed up and I can’t enter the bios. My laptop is pretty old, about 5 years but it hasn’t fell or anything. I mean, the fan stopped working, but i got it working again to see if that would fix the problem, but it didn’t.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What make and model laptop is it ? How did you fix the fan problem ?

6. Yoloswag5643

Well I’m not much of a computer guy so I looked it up on YouTube, and apparently I had some dust in the fan so I opened up my laptop and cleared it up

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Did the blank screen problem start just after you cleaned the fan ?

You didn't tell us the make and model of the laptop, we can help more if you do.

8. Yoloswag5643

Well no. A few days earlier when laptop was working fine, it told me that I have something blocking the fan and I should do something about it, but I ignored it because I didn’t know what to do. It was working fine before like 2 days later. I got out my laptop and turned it on. But when I turned it on there was no display. So I thought “oh maybe it’s because I didn’t clean out the laptop. I looked it up on YouTube and it said I had to open my laptop up, and I did and I cleaned off all the dust that was inside there. When I did that I was hoping for my computer to have a display but it didn’t. So I just put away my laptop and waited for the next day. A day later I got my laptop and turned it on, it still wasn’t working. But instead of the caps lock light blinking, it was the mute button blinking. It’s been doing that ever since. I looked up more videos on YouTube and one of the videos said that I might have a dead motherboard, so I looked up a video on how to fix that, but it looked really complicated so I didn’t do it. So then I looked for some assistance online and it brought me to here

My laptop model as it says on the back of the laptop: hp pavilion g7-2215dx

9. Yoloswag5643

Uh, hello?

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    If possible connect an external Monitor to the laptop, turn the Monitor on then the laptop and see if you get a display on the Monitor.

11. Yoloswag5643

It doesn’t work :/

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I would check you have reconnected everything correctly, this guide should help :- http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-hp-pavilion-g7-laptop/

If it still doesn't show a display on the laptop screen you might be able to fix it by installing a new Cpu, which also provides the graphics.

Looking online I think it has an Intel Pentium B950 Cpu now, you can replace it or upgrade to an Intel i5-2450M which should speed things up. I can't be 100% sure the upgrade will work though.

13. Yoloswag5643

So I did check carefully and reconnected everything now there is no light blinking but i still have a black screen

14. Yoloswag5643

Welp, now whenever I try to turn it on my power button led just blinks every time I press it

15. Yoloswag5643

Ok now when I turn it on, the caps lock button is blinking and the airplane mode button is lighting up Orange

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice