1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop not turning on,

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ella_macintosh, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ella_macintosh

Ella_macintosh Thread Starter

Hello,

I was just using my laptop and than left it on charge, when I came back to it the screen was blank, so I thought it had gone off. Now it does not turn on, and when I plug the charger into the laptop the power light on the charger goes off. however if it is not plugged into the laptop than its fine. Could anyone advise me on what to do? Is it my laptop or my charger thats the problem?

I have a Dell XPS, M1330, windows vista ultimate.

really hope someone can help, I need my laptop!

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Try removing the battery and then plug in the charger/adapter.

3. Ella_macintosh

Still does not work, what I find weird is that when I plug the charger into the socket, the power light comes on, and its all fine. As soon as I plug it into the laptop the light goes off.

does anyone have an explanation for this?

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    It sounds like the adapter could be bad. It powers the light, which doesn't take much, but cannot supply enough current to power up the laptop.

Does the light go out as soon as you plug it in to the laptop? With no battery and without trying to power up? It is possible that the laptop main board is toast.

Do you have a friend with a laptop that might use a similar adapter? It doesn't have to be the same make/model. As long as the plug fits and the voltage and current ratings are similar.

5. Ella_macintosh

Yes that what happens, I also spoke to dell and they said that the motherboard need changing! So I guess your right about it being 'toast'.

only thing is my warranty has run out now, so its going to be expensive to replace, and dell wont replace it!

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Search the Internet for that part. Do you have someone that can replace it for you? It's not for beginners!

Alternatively, you can sell it as is, or for parts. Perhaps eBay? The LCD is worth a few bucks.

7. Ella_macintosh

No I don't know anyone that can 'fix' it for me, I am just going to have to pay and get it fixed as I have my work saved on it!

thanks for you help though.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/851303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice