1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Not Working at All

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lightdove, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lightdove

lightdove Thread Starter

I have a problem with a 'new' reconditioned laptop in March which I bought on Ebay and which now doesn't work at all. These are the problems:
    the CD Rom drive won't work (I bought another and that didn't work either, so its something to do with the laptop itself); then it started crashing; from there it deteriorated to lines of all descriptions and colours across the screen, blue & red, green and red, black & white, zig zag & straight... then it started turning itself off and on, off and on repeatedly, all night in one instance. At the moment that is all it is doing, repeatedly turning itself off and on all within seconds of each other. It went through a period of doing this and if I just left it for hours, when I went back to it it would be working, but gradually it deteriorated to pretty much nothing so at the moment it is useless to me. Can you please point me in the right direction? (I'm hoping that direction won't be to the bin :)
    Many thanks,
    Lightdove

2. Sponsor

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

What's the brand name and model name and complete model number of that laptop?

What version(Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, etc.) and bit version(32, 64) of Windows 7 is it running?

--------------------------------------------------------

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

It sounds to me more like hardware, so I moved the thread from Windows 7. I can always move it back if necessary.

My guess is maybe power supply, but more likely motherboard failure. It acts the same whether on battery only or with the battery removed?

5. lightdove

lightdove Thread Starter

So sorry should have thought of that shouldn't i? Its an Acer Aspire 5520 running Windows 7 & the first part of the model number is in Chinese or Japanese & the rest is: ICW50 I'm not sure whether it's 32 or 64 & I can't get into it to find out. And yes it runs (or not) the same with battery in and out. So if it's a motherboard failure are we talking a deceased laptop? No wonder the guy who sold it to me is ignoring my emails. And he said he takes a 'pride in his work' & I've had nothing but problems with it. Over to you? (And thank you for this.)

6. managed

managed Allan Trusted Advisor

Does it get hot ? Is the fan on a lot ?

7. lightdove

lightdove Thread Starter

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give the man a fishing rod and show him how to fish and you will feed him for life.

Old Native American Proverb: Never judge another until you have walked a 100 miles in his moccasins.

Come to the edge, he said
    They said, 'We are afraid'
    'Come to the edge' he said
    They came,
    He pushed them,
    and they flew...
    Gullaime Apollinaire

A selection of my favourites :)

I haven't noticed it getting hot or that the fan is on a lot. I will turn it on again and see what it does do. (I've told the git that sold me this white elephant what I think of him and I feel better for it lol (Still broke without a decent laptop though :(

8. lightdove

lightdove Thread Starter

Well I've had it on for half an hour now and all it's doing is: hum (turning on) and hiss (turning off) repeatedly. And as it's now had a charge from the battery, it won't turn itself off for good until the charge runs out. I don't have a good feeling about the outcome of this problem (sob :'( )

9. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

From what I can determine, the Acer Aspire 5520 laptop comes with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

---------------------------------------------------

10. lightdove

lightdove Thread Starter

Yes I'm a bit confused by that. It has a label on the keyboard that says Windows Vista but it was running Windows 7 so I am wondering if this was loaded on by the seller because it was a reconditioned laptop? (He said he took a pride in his work...) Over to you?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Whatever the reason if it is a legitimate Windows 7 he also provided you with the installation DVD so that you can reinstall it. Or at least a sticker with the Windows 7 Product Key. If you didn't get that you can be almost certain that you have a pirated Windows 7.

12. lightdove

lightdove Thread Starter

He never sent me a disk. Which kind of goes with his unwilling to assist me attitude. I have a disk here for windows xp from a legitimate source could I load that onto it? Do you think the laptop is repairable? I'm puzzled as to why it keeps turning itself off and on? This is the second reconditioned laptop I've bought & the first one had 2 versions of windows on it, one hidden under the other which was windows 7, which caused problems when I hit a snag and had to reload windows onto. He didn't send me a disk either. sigh.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You also need two other things. A valid Windows XP Product Key and XP drivers. You probably don't have a Product Key and not all PCs designed for Vista or later also have XP drivers.

IMO reconditioned PCs are best bought from OEMs (HP, Dell, etc.), reliable retailers (e.g., NewEgg) or a reliable computer shop where you can see the PC and what software you are getting before paying.

It is not impossible to find genuine Windows on eBay, just not very likely.

14. lightdove

lightdove Thread Starter

I've got them as the drivers came with the disk I bought & he was very nice & very helpful & was on the phone for an hour helping me to load it on, so I think I can trust that disk. But what about this turning itself off and on repeatedly? And if i can't use the CD Rom drive how can I possibly load a disk onto it?
    You also mentioned that it could be a motherboard failure? Do you still believe this to be the case??

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

So, you already have XP installed on this PC?

Your post # 7 makes me suspect the motherboard more than before. But there is no way I can tell for sure. Maybe you can find a good computer shop where they'll give you a free estimate of what's wrong and the cost to repair.

16. lightdove

lightdove Thread Starter

Hi, No, I can't take it to a computer repair shop. I have no transport & the only repair shop in town (a mile away) & they've ripped me off before & the guy was rude to me the last time I was there over something that was his fault not mine. So I won't be using them again. Can you suggest anything I can do? (Apart from bin it lol)

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140659