1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheCursedJester, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheCursedJester

TheCursedJester Thread Starter

Hey there, I'm new to the forum and im a basic beginner to computing (college student) so please forgive me and have a little patience if I miss anything out or do not fully understand a few things. Thanks. :cool:

Now I have a four year old laptop - Compaq, windows vista Home premium, the main line of specs I do not know so well since its been busted and refusing to work for the last two years. After taking it to various people to just have a look at and check out they returned it with nothing (then again these were shops out in the small island of Cyprus) until my College teacher back in England, York took a look, and said something about its graphics card being fried. Hence why its not working.

My question here is, since shes pretty much left it off there and never got around to seeing if she could fix it, is that is it possible to change a graphics card on a laptop? Or video card? One or the other you call it.

Looking at some question/answer sites or articles they say its either impossible or very hard to do, but for some videos like on youtube or some other website they show that its apparently very easy. Which has left me a little confused you see.

The laptop itself can be turned on, the button lights up and the symbols (battery, caps lock, cd, extra) light up with it, inside you can hear it whirr and start up.. then it just seems to falter, turning off and on as though it was restarting multiple times, and the screen remains blank.

(would have some pictures, but now the camera is on the blink, ha ha.)

Any help is appreciated. Its not urgent that I get it working, being it two years now the thing is not so important to us, but it would be nice to be able to fire it up again. If I have posted this in the wrong place my apologies.

Thanks!
    - Jester

2. Sponsor

3. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

Replacing the Graphics adapter on all but a very few very high end laptops means replacing the motherboard as the graphics card is integrated on the motherboard. Similarly fixing it is going to be replacing the motherboard if it is the Graphics card that is bad. On a 4 year old laptop, this would be more expensive than the laptop is worth usually.

4. rodeognome

rodeognome

Yes, as dustyjay has mentioned - only very high-end laptops have an non-integrated graphics card. Therefore, to resolve problem you would have to replace motherboard - expensive.

One thing you can do to check its not the backlight or lcd - is IF you have a desktop monitor - get the cable from that an insert it into the VGA port and then power up your laptop - see if you get a display using a different screen.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

Easier way to check the backlight or inverter is to shine a bright flashlight on the screen, if you can see the computer desktop then it is likey to be either the inverter or the backlight itself. Inverter is a relatively easy fix. Backlight is a bit mor difficult. Though if it is not even booting then it would suggest a worse problem such as a bad motherboard.

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

On many laptops you have to press Fn plus F6 or other key combination to get a display on an external monitor.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/966676