1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop often shuts off 5-30 seconds after starting 9/10 try

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Protheos, Dec 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Protheos

Protheos Thread Starter

Laptop shuts off 5 to 30 seconds after startup, usually just as the four flag parts fly together as windows 7 boots up. Sometimes before that, or even when automatic repair is attempting to start after a few failed boots. If I keep trying it will usually boot after 9 or 12 tries and run fine until next time. . Any ideas, it is not the battery, or the software, as same hard drive boots fine if moved to another identical computer. I also replaced the processor and both memory sticks. The cooling gel on the processor is in good shape and fresh too. I made a video of the problem here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oeadiMYuwXWVKmkjKCzd-...

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Based on what you have done so far, the problem is likely the (power supply) or motherboard. Assuming it occurs when connected via AC or when using the battery, then "power supply" would be the power circuit on the motherboard.

3. Protheos

Protheos Thread Starter

I think you have the answer. I thought something with the power supply at first and replaced that too...so it must be power supply on the mother board. IS there anything that can be done to try to identify the component and fix this, or does the board have to be replaced?

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Sure, with schematics, proper test equipment, and a 3M or higher rated repair certification. And I'm sure anyone with those skills wouldn't be asking for help here. Your best bet would be a new motherboard, but depending on the age of the laptop, your money is likely better spent on a replacement.

5. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Does it still turn off like that with the battery removed ?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice