1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop on vacation

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by hope123, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hope123

hope123 Thread Starter

I live in an area that only has dial-up(n) ; Recently I bought an HP laptop with Vista.
    I want to take it on vacation. However, having never had highspeed or been involved in wireless, I have absolutely no clue what to do.
    I need very simple, step-by-step instructions to set myself up for this.
    I have read some articles here and there but I have not yet come across something I can follow.
    Is there a person here who can help this old woman.
    Thanks.

2. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Dependant really where you are going on vacation you shouldnt really need to setup anything.
    Alot of Hotels etc, have wireless networks for thier guests to use.
    All that you will need to do is when you turn your pc on, a bubble should pop up saying "wireless networks recognised"
    click this bubble and a list should appear.
    click on the hotels one that you are staying at and click connect. and off you go

some hotels etc however do have tight security on thier networks, but will be happy to help you get connected if needed.

3. hope123

hope123 Thread Starter

what happens if I'm going to my daughter's? They have high speed.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You have to be more specific than "high speed".

Do they have a broadband Internet connection (DSL or cable)?
    Is the broadband modem connected to a wireless router?
    Or is it connected directly to one of their computers? Using USB or Ethernet?
    If it's connected to one computer directly, is that computer configured to share that Internet connection via a wireless connection?

5. hope123

hope123 Thread Starter

I'm sorry, I can't answer these questions. They are too complicated for me. It would be very nice if I had some literature that I could read to learn about all this. Does anyone know of a site where dummies (and old ladies) can go to learn?Thanks

6. unbidden

unbidden

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Your daughter should know what type of Internet connection she has, and what equipment is plugged in to share that connection.

If they just have a dial-up connection for one computer, there's no point in reading about how to setup a home network. If they have broadband and don't have a router, they'd have to buy and configure equipment so you can use your laptop wirelessly.

8. hope123

hope123 Thread Starter

I know that they have a cable connection and that they have 2 computers, a desktop and a laptop.
    I can't reach at this moment to get further answers.

9. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

From the sounds of things, they probably have a router with wireless.
    As long as your laptop has a wireless network card you'll be able to connect to her cable broadband.
    Your daughter should be able to tell you exactly how when you get there,
    but more than likely you will just have to click on your wireless icon in lower right of screen next to time. Click on the wireless connection thats your daughters, click connect. enter your daughters security key and away you go.

10. hope123

hope123 Thread Starter

Thank you . I will try this when I go there. I will also read from the link that was sent to me to try to educate myself a bit about these connections.Thanks again. If you don't hear fro me again on this topic it will be because "I Get It"...lol

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!