1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop only works in safe mode now

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wcjohnson66, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wcjohnson66

wcjohnson66 Thread Starter

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3873 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, 1872 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 190775 MB, Free - 139950 MB; D: Total - 260561 MB, Free - 260457 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., K53E
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

When booting up the OS in normal mode, windows 7 pulls up all the normal desktop settings, icons, etc. but when you click on ANY program shortcut to run, the computer hangs up in perpetual hour-glass wait mode. Not even Clt-Alt-Del will work so a power-off force shut down is necessary. So we use the laptop in safe mode with networking and all is well.

We performed an extensive malware/virus clean up with one of the Tech Support Guys recently and I have included the link thread below for your review. We are confident it is not malware/virus related since the Tech Support Guy could not find anything on our computer hindering performance. Our conclusion is something is wrong with the OS. Your help and expertise would be greatly appreciated.

http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/1144002-windows-7-running-slow-suspect.html

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Do you have a MS Windows 7 DVD?

3. wcjohnson66

let me check and see.

4. wcjohnson66

No, I do not have MS Windows 7 DVD

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Download a copy if it IS still available - it was a couple of weeks ago and you can check as well as I can.
    You may need to supply a key to prove you are entitled to have it.

6. wcjohnson66

I will search for the downloads online and report back once I complete this task or if I have any problems finding the downloads.

7. Agye

Agye

if is working fine in safe mood then it means is either a program or services is causing that freeze, I will try and track it down it might be a long shot but you can go through your services or your recent downloaded program on your computer. try sfc/scannow but before that I will try changing my start up services using msconfig from normal to selective services in safe mood and boot back to normal in windows if it works.

8. wcjohnson66

I getting confused with comments from multiple members. Do I follow DaveBurnett's instructions? Please advise

9. Agye

Agye

absolutely!! you should try DaveBurnett's instructions, from his log he is an expert so his council should be definitely followed but other suggestions are there as a backup in case you need it, so please don't get confused we are here to help not confuse you!!!!

10. wcjohnson66

Okay, thank you so much. I'm used to the malware/virus tech guys forum where you follow their instructions exactly as they prescribe. But I see your point and will give this a try. Safe mode works perfectly every single time but normal mode boots up but hangs up the entire time.

11. wcjohnson66

Microsoft windows download website would not allow me download their software. Once I enter my window registration key, it said my software was purchased from a manufacturer direct, so I needed to contact them for download. My laptop is an ASUS so I visited their website for support and they instructed me to use the software recovery tool resident on my ASUS laptop. It will take 6 formated writable DVD's and I suppose a large amount of time. How should I proceed?

12. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Now we get to the point I was hoping wouldn't occur. One of the things in this modern world is that no one wants to take responsibility for faults and how to rectify them.
    It is not going to help you. MS supplies OEM copies/licences to computer manufacturers at heavily subsidised rates and the OEM is expected to support the customer. The OEM is not allowed under their agreement with MS to supply a raw copy of the OS, but can supply the means to return the machine to a clean install in the form of DVDs or a recovery partition. Neither wants to spend time helping the customer.
    I would go back to the MS web site and discover that you are having trouble and ask to speak to someone and try and BUY a dvd from them. (Just the DVD) Conversely speak to ASUS and tell them the recovery is not working and insist that they supply either a Windows DVD or a stand alone recovery set. (preferably the Windows DVD).
    Meanwhile try and borrow the DVD from an acquaintance and take a back up copy of it for them. The only difference in the versions of the DVD that I know of is the Install script, the rest is the same.

13. wcjohnson66

I will get to work on that. Thanks again for you help and advice.

14. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Check your messages.

15. wcjohnson66

Over the weekend I did find the windows backup/restore cd's I made when I first purchased the computer in October of 2012. The restore files completely erased everything on the computer and reinstalled windows and all the other programs back to the factory default.

The first day shut-down said they Windows updates 1 of 175 would begin downloading. That was last night about 14 hours ago. It is at Windows update 151 of 175 and still updating. Is this taking so long to update a normal thing since Windows is downloading updates all the way back to 2012 (almost 3 years ago)? I'm assuming that is the long wait but I wanted to ask the experienced your expertise. BTW, it was on 150 of 175 when we first turned on the computer this morning about 4 hours ago and it's progressed to 151 of 175. That is pretty slow but I didn't want to power it down without it updating. I should continue to be patience, correct?

Thanks for you advice.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice