1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop or desktop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by belladonna, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. belladonna

belladonna Thread Starter

Hi I'd appreciate some advice please: we've been using a home-built (not by us!) desktop pc with Win98SE for about 4 years. This is our first computer so it's been fine while we get to grips with emailing, internet, typing etc! In the meantime we have aquired 3 2ndhand laptops, one of which has now died, the 2nd my 13yo son is playing with installing various Linux programmes, the 3rd has Win98P2 which I haven't looked at yet.
    The trouble is that the desktop pc is becoming unreliable (even after my son recently added another larger harddrive, and has me running Ubuntu on it,- which I like - alongside WIndows - which I don't like! - but we are thinking that we should give in and buy a new...what?? Desktop or laptop? With our limited knowledge and my son's enthusiasm (he's quite smart about IT) Hubby, me and son can't agree about which is 'best'...my husband wants a laptop so we can put it 'out of sight 'when not in use...please can someone outline: what are the pro's and con's we should consider?

2. wacor

wacor Banned

Laptops are nice but are more succeptible to theft and damage. You get way more bang for the buck with a desktop and they are far easier to open up and repair yourself.

If you just want it for around the house i would always go with a desktop for this application but that is just my opinion

3. belladonna

Thanks Wacorsaut (?what does that mean?!) your opinion is appreciated, and I take your points. It's kind of a limited space issue for us, along with 3 users (obviously as my son gets older he's gonna be online the most!) - if we did go with laptops, can we network them together online without a desktop? Faz did mention the point about not being able to access a laptop to repair it.

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

You can network any computer provided it has a network card.

You should buy a desktop which would serve as your "serve"--you can use large hard drives and let it serve as a primary storage center--the laptops would then be satellite systems accesing data from the desktop. You need to set up a workspace where you also have router, modem, printer and scanner to have a complete modern digital set up. You're better off buying a nice cabinet to close up to hide the comptuer than buying a laptop you can put away.

5. wacor

wacor Banned

wacorsaut is parts of my name scrambled together. it just makes it easier for me to remember

if space is an issue you can give some thought to a flat panel monitor. they have come way down in price.

you can network latops via a router i believe. if you do not keep the main laptop on though that is hooked to a printer then i think you need a print server or something else maybe to be able to print from all the latops but not positive on that

6. belladonna

Personally, if I can manage with the gremlins in the current system, then I'm happy to consider a flat screen. Are there any considerations as to what would be compatable with my system?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That would obviously depend on the video capabilities of your system. Help me out here, I'm brilliant, not clairvoyant. ;)

8. pugmug

pugmug Banned

But John,we were thinking you could do it all. Don't disappoint us. lol

9. Mulderator

Mulderator

That's not what his wife told me! :eek:

;)

10. belladonna

hmmm....good job I went off for an early night while you guys went 'off thread'!!

Ok JohnBrill....er Will, where do I find what you need to know for that....actually, I have to get the dinner on, I'll let Faz join in - two heads always better than one ;)

11. JohnWill

Download SIW, unpack it into a separate folder and run it. It'll tell you more than you ever wanted to know about your system.

12. belladonna

ok done that: as we read it, my maximum video capabilities are 1024 x 768 at 85Hz refresh rate. If that's how you write it?! ...

13. JohnWill

I was actually looking for the make/model of the graphics adapter, since what you're telling us is just the current resolution settings. For video on this system, for instance, I get:

Attached Files:

• siw.jpg
      siw.jpg
      File size:
      149.6 KB
      Views:
  14. Old Bob

Old Bob

belladonna,

Re- your husband's idea of "putting away" the laptop when not in use - unless you have a docking station, putting away/setting up will involve a LOT of connecting and disconnecting.

15. belladonna

Hi faz here - I'm 13.
    Here's our video screenshot [​IMG] - it's on Ubuntu, and I have to click the test OpenGL button to bring up any info.
    Our graphics adapter/card is integrated into our motherboard, and I'm not sure what our mobo is. If I select mobo in the hardware section, I get 3 of these [​IMG] and then this [​IMG]. If you know anything about linux, then can you tell me where to go to find this out please (I've tried device manager, but not sure if I've clicked in the right places) :) .
    Hope these images come up...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice