1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop or wireless router not working?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by andywarhol, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andywarhol

andywarhol Thread Starter

Items:
    Apple Ibook , osx10, built in airport
    router: d-link wireless router

problem:
    apple ibook hooks up via wireless to my friends wireless routers, but not to my own........my mothers pc hooks up fine to my wireless router, but not my mac.......the laptop recognizes the router as it appears in the list yet it says its connected but nothing works (internet/messenger programs) ......when i hook up to the router on my mac via wire, it works fine..........so my router works and the airport works (as seen on my friends' routers)

anyone know wuts going on?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Is your mothers PC being hooked up wirelessly or wired? If wireless I would look at the possibility of some type of encryption setup that may not be configured on the MAC. If its being hooked up wired maybe your router itself is having wireless problems?

3. saelruth

saelruth

I am having the same problem, except..I went out and bought a cheap little wireless adapter and it works. it may be something with the drivers for the card you´re using. For the life of me, I can´t figure out my problem, however, I would borrow someone´s network adapter just to see if that will work in your computer, if not, then you know where the problem is, if it does work, then you have a whole new problem or you can just use a different card. :eek: Also, I did answer another link under Linksys and you may want to look at that one as it might be a winsock issue...there is a download there that may help.

4. sebb2004

sebb2004

Try to re-enter your WEP/WPA settings on the Mac, if your not using the encrytion, try to renew the DCHP, I think you will find it under Internet Connections under TCP/IP settings.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice